Note from the Superintendent: Honoring teachers and students at TTUSD
May 3, 2016
Dear Parents and Community Members,
This month we are celebrating and recognizing the contributions of our amazing staff members and the positive difference they make in the lives of our scholars.
May 3 was National Teacher Appreciation Day, and May 2-6 is Teacher Appreciation Week. May 7 is Day of the School Nurse, and May 17- 23 is Classified Employees Week. Also, last week we celebrated School Bus Drivers Day. We are extremely grateful of all of our staff and for their commitment to youth.
We continue to be an award-winning school district and received several new recognitions over the past few weeks. Truckee High School won a silver medal in the 2016 Best High Schools Rankings by U.S. News & World Report.
Also, Kings Beach Elementary and Tahoe Lake Elementary were named 2016 Gold Ribbon Schools by our State Superintendent of Public Instruction and will be formally recognized on June 1 at the California School Recognition Program Awards Ceremony in Sacramento.
I invite you to attend tonight's (May 4) Board of Education meeting, where we will announce our 2016-17 Teachers of the Year and our 2016-17 Classified Employees of the Year.
At the same board meeting, the board will vote on my recommendation for the new Glenshire Elementary School Principal when Kathleen Gauthier retires after this school year.
I want to acknowledge our seniors for all their hard work over the past four years. This is a very exciting time with an abundance of opportunities awaiting them as they get ready to graduate and begin their next chapter of life.
The list of university acceptances is impressive and includes Bard College, Boston University, Cal, Lewis & Clark, New York University, UCLA, USC, and UCSD. Congratulations!
As we near the end of the school year and there are natural opportunities for celebrations, I would like to encourage our scholars to be responsible in their celebrations and to make this a sane and sober end of the school year.
We want all of our graduates and continuing students to be with us in the future!
Rob Leri is superintendent of the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Opinion
- Out of the Blue: How far will loyalty to ‘Prima Donald’ stretch? (opinion)
- Mental Health Matters: Why do we believe in fake news, false facts? (opinion)
- Simply Taxes column: Beware … appraisal required
- TRPA Opinion: We can’t solve Lake Tahoe’s transit issues overnight
- Opinion: CA Sen. Ted Gaines fails as a leader, blames others instead
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot of snow possible at high elevations Friday
- North Tahoe crime logs: Screwdriver-wielding man threatens retail shop staff
- Truckee Police Logs: 2 arrests in 2 days for meth possession
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top