81st Annual Far West Ski Association Convention this week
June 3, 2013
The community is invited to participate in the Far West Ski Association’s 81st Annual Convention, which is scheduled for June 6-9 at the Grand Sierra Resort and Casino in Reno.
The Far West Ski Association (FWSA) is a volunteer, non-profit organization representing 180 affiliated ski clubs located throughout 11 regional councils in 13 Western states.
FWSA conducts programs in public affairs, skier safety, ski heritage, athletics, racing, communications, travel, council development, ski industry and community outreach.
The convention will include a silent auction and dance in the Reno Ballroom on Friday, June 7, at 6:30 p.m. The snowsports industry trade show event is free and open to the public.
Attendees can bid on sports gear as well as more than $100,000 in ski and travel packages. Guests will mingle with snowsports celebrities and representatives from local and regional ski clubs. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Disabled Sports USA Far West Snowsports Program.
A day program will then take place on Saturday, June 8, from 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. The price of $50 includes Travel Expo, luncheon, multi-media presentation, FWSA Snowsports Leadership Academy and panel sessions including public affairs. Representatives from the snowsports industry will discus current issues relating to public land development, ski history, ski safety and snowsport legislation.
Special guests slated to participate in the event include Candace Cable, U.S. Disabled Ski Team and Paralympic Medalist; Billy Kidd, 1964 Olympic silver medalist; Dave Ludwig, founder of Hope on the Slopes; Wayne Wong, pioneer of freestyle skiing; and Lila Lapanja, US Ski Team; among others.
For more information visit http://www.fwsa.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports