Berkeley sophomore wins TRANS National Amateur Championship
July 16, 2013
Katelyn Wright of Incline Village finished tied for 24th in the 83rd Women’s TRANS National Amateur Championship at Schaffer’s Mill Golf and Lake Club last week.
Hannah Sue, a to-be sophomore at the University of California, Berkeley, edged Ashlan Ramsey by one stroke, 287-288, to win the four-day tournament.
Sue started the day even with Ramsey before posting four birdies on the front nine and securing her narrow win with a par on the 18th hole.
Ramsey, a 17-year-old incoming freshman at Clemson University, jumped out to a hot start with low rounds of 68 and 69 the first two days of the tournament, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Sue’s consistency paid off in the end, however, as she followed up her 72 and 70 with another 72 on Thursday, which pulled her even with Ramsey with a three-day total of 142, after Ramsey carded a 77. Sue finished with a one-under-par 73 Friday to fend off Ramsey, who came in with an even-par 73.
Allisen Corpuz of Honolulu, Hawaii, and Beverly Vatananugulkit of Davis tied for third seven strokes back (294), while Shu-Yin Liu of Clackamas, Ore., and Kassidy Teare of Vista, Calif., tied for fifth (296).
Wright started the TRANS tournament well. On Tuesday the former Incline High standout, now entering her senior season on the University of Nebraska golf team, shot a one-under-par 71 over the 6,389 yard course, which placed her in a three-way tie three strokes behind the leading Ramsey. Wright slipped from the top of the leaderboard when she shot 83 on Wednesday and 77 both Thursday and Friday, giving her a four-day total of 308.
A total of nine countries were represented in the TRANS championship, including 10 junior girls who are 17 or under, 6 seniors (50 and older) and 12 universities from the United States.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports