Burton Creek Trail Run draws large crowd
July 7, 2014
More than 270 people took on one of four distances in the Burton Creek Trail Run in Tahoe City on Sunday.
The event, which was part of the Big Blue Adventure Tahoe Trail Running Series, featured runs of 6 and 12 kilometers, a half marathon, and a 50K. The half marathon was most popular, with 128 finishers.
Chris Cloyd of Olympic Valley defended his title in the half marathon, claiming victory with a time of 1:34:46. Bret Sarnquist of Phoenix finished runner-up in 1:35:17, and James Sullivan of Oakland was third in 1:38:26.
Kristin Walstad of Alta, who's a regular top finisher in Tahoe-area distance races, was the top woman and fourth overall with a time of 1:38:54. She was trailed by Dolores Bergmann of Chester, who was fifth overall in 1:41:32, and Stacey Armijo of Rocklin, who was sixth overall in 1:41:49.
David Reichel of South Lake Tahoe was seventh in 1:42:09 and was followed by Truckee's Jim Telling (eighth, 1:42:34) and Leigh Moffett (ninth, 1:43:57). Other top local finishers included Jim Kaspari of Norden (11th, 1:46:34), Linda Tripp-Packard of Tahoe City (17th, 1:51:01), Kelly Nourse of Tahoe City (20th, 1:55:04), Sarah McMahan of Incline Village (23rd, 1:56:15) and Amanda Oberacker of Truckee (25th, 1:56:50).
In the 12K, Alasdair Saunders of Wellington took the overall win with a time of 52:01. Chris Souder of Chico was second in 59:31 and 18-year-old Holden Reed of Truckee was third in 59:34. David Simon of Incline Village placed sixth in 1:04:47.
Erinn Kim of Fresno was the top woman and seventh overall with a time of 1:05:29. Jessica Souder of Chico was the second woman and ninth overall in 1:06:45, and Leanne Meadows of Reno was the third woman and 11th overall in 1:07:19. Kristen Reichardt of Incline was the fourth woman and 13th overall in 1:09:42.
Other top locals included James Kramer (10th, 1:06:58), Michelle Reed (16th, 1:12:15) and Chris Taylor (17th, 1:12:45), all of Truckee, Incline's John Webb (21st, 1:14:59), and South Shore's Thomas Peterson (22nd, 1:15:20) and Carri Smith-Marshall (24th, 1:15L44).
In the 6K, Chris Badolato of Reno won with a time of 24:59, and Natalie Howell of Wellington was first among women and fourth overall in 31:19. Shawn Flaherty of Zephyr Cove was the top Tahoe-area runner, finishing sixth in 31:30.
Shannon Hameister of Incline was 16th overall in 37:30, Truckee's Pixie Barber was 17th in 38:01 and 8-year-old Noah McMahan of Incline was 18th in 38:26.
Ian Torrence of Flagstaff, Ariz., won the 50K, posting a time of 4:08:39, while Candy Hower-Colflesh of Bishop was the top woman and 13th overall in 6:09:21. Jeff Brown of Truckee was the top local finishers, placing eighth in 5:41:59.
Photos from the race are available at http://www.lefrakphotography.com. All participants in the Big Blue Adventure Tahoe Trail Running Series receive a free photo.
Trending In: Sports
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- America’s rising star: Tahoe’s Travis Ganong talks life away from World Cup
- Explore Tahoe-Truckee: Incredible views above Lake Tahoe from the Mt. Rose Highway Scenic Overlook
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues
- Creatures released into ‘Lake Tahoe’ go on killing spree in 2015 movie