Charlie Johnston, Kristin Walstad win 18th annual Lake Tahoe Marathon
October 2, 2013
Charlie Johnston of Sparks and Kristin Walstad of Alta took top honors in the 18th annual Lake Tahoe Marathon on Sunday.
The main race of the three-day event began at Commons Beach in Tahoe City and ended at Pope Beach near South Lake Tahoe.
Johnston, 30, easily claimed the overall victory in the field of 171 runners. He crossed the finish line with a winning time of 2:50:21 to runner-up Samer Slim's 3:10:35.
Walstad, 40, took third overall in 3:13:16, and Ryan Montalbo (hometown unknown) was fourth in 3:17:00.
Trey Griffin was the top Tahoe-area finisher, as the 37-year-old South Lake Tahoe resident placed fifth in a time of 3:27:12, while Tara Purinton, 34, of Incline Village was the second woman finisher and 13th overall in 3:40:27.
Julie Rueckheim, 29, of Truckee placed fifth in the women's field and 21st overall in a time of 3:48:49, Todd Tanis, 43, of Norden was 24th in 3:49:20, Carol Halberstadt, 51, of Truckee was the ninth woman and 36th overall in 4:03:50, and Brian Hunt of South Lake Tahoe was 38th in 4:04:12.
More than 30 events took place between Friday and Sunday, including biking, swimming, kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding races.
A full-distance marathon was held each day, in addition to a 72-mile ultra and a couple of triple-marathon options. The races kicked off with the Emerald Bay Marathon on Friday and continued with the Cal-Neva Marathon on Saturday. All offered a half-marathon distance.
The Great Lake Tahoe Bike Ride, which offered two different distances — 35 miles and 72 miles — was held Saturday.
Bill Hudson of Olympic Valley finished sixth in the 72-miler in a time of 3:05:40, while John Hancock of Sacramento took the overall win in a field of 138 cyclists in 3:02:51. Jeff Hamilton of Truckee was 12th (3:06:55) and Steven Walton of Tahoe City was 19th (3:16:12).
Among other top local finishes, Jackson Shaw of Homewood took sixth in the 10K race Sunday in a time of 47:33 and Ryan Heisinger of Tahoe City was 11th in 48:42, while Richard Mallett of Tahoe City captured the win in the 20-mile race in a time of 2:55:24.
Find complete results from all the weekend events at http://www.laketahoemarathon.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Truckee Raptors youth basketball team crowned champs
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage