Diamond Peak U12 skiers post strong results in Mammoth speed races
April 10, 2013
The Diamond Peak Ski Team’s U12 alpine ski racers have been busy competing with great success in races throughout the Sierra Nevada over the past few weeks.
Recent competitions included the Far West U12 Super G races at Mammoth, from March 15-17. U12 racers from Southern California, the Bay Area and Lake Tahoe visited Mammoth for speed racing under clear blue skies.
After training runs on Friday and Saturday, the athletes raced against the clock on Saturday and Sunday, March 16-17. Super giant slalom (SGS) races were held on Denny’s Downhill on the spectacular and scenic Mammoth Chair 14 backside.
Each day presented the racers with rock-hard morning conditions thawing throughout the day. Wind from Mother Nature and salt kept the track mostly firm and fast.
On the gentlemen’s side, DPST’s effort was led by Matthew Smallhouse, who scored a podium third-place finish in Saturday’s super G and an eighth-place medal on Sunday. Other DPST boys’ SGS results at Mammoth were Saturday: Marek Hlubucek, 21st; Brent Wolf, 34th; and Satchel Hirsh, 44th; and on Sunday: Marek Hlubucek, 16th; Brent Wolf, 19th; and Satchel Hirsh, 33rd.
The DPST U12 ladies posted the following SGS results: Saturday: Julia Holm, 15th place medal; Katherine Johnson, 20th; Rachel Delaney 24th, Zoe Lacasse-Kirstine, 48th, Julia Capaldi, 52nd, Ella Kuzyk, 64th; and on Sunday: Katherine Johnson, 16th; Julia Holm, 17th; Rachel Delaney 20th; Zoe Lacasse-Kirstine, 49th; Julia Capaldi, 61st; Ella Kuzyk, 73rd; and Lucy Donahue, 79th.
The Mammoth speed event is a wonderful experience for young racers to test out ski racing at higher speeds in a secure and safely fenced environment. Several of DPST’s U12 and U14 racers will return to Mammoth at the end of April for the Far West U12-U14 Spring speed camp.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe skiing: Downhill resorts offer up new features for the 2016-17 season
- VIDEO: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team’s Lila Lapanja returning to form
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Peter Fain breaks own record in Escape from Prison Hill Half-Marathon
- Truckee cross-country: Girls edge Spring Creek for third title in four years
- Sierra history: The legacy of Donner Ski Ranch, an 80-year-old resort rebel
- I-80 wrecks: If you thought there were more than usual at Floriston, you’re right
- Opinion: Racism in American, and at Lake Tahoe, needs to stop
- Whoops! Accident left Alpine Meadows in the dark
- 5 arrested near Truckee after iPhone thefts, high-speed chase (w/ mugshots)