Evan Vomund, Kristin Walstad win Northstar Mountain Run
August 11, 2014
Tahoe Trail Running Series (remaining events)
— Big Blue Trail Run, Aug. 16
— Marlette 50K, Aug. 17
— Heavenly Mountain Run, Aug. 31
— Emerald Bay Trail Run, Sept. 20
— Lederhosen, Sept. 27
With the way he’s been eating up hills this summer, Evan Vomund’s high school cross-county coach warned that he was a threat to win any given race in the Tahoe area.
Vomund proved him correct on Sunday, as the 2014 Incline High grad raced to victory in the seventh annual Northstar Mountain Run. Vomund covered the 10.6-kilometer course in a time of 1 hour, 1 minute, 34 seconds.
Defending overall champion Kristin Walstad, 42, of Alta chased Vomund to the finish line, placing first among women and second overall with a time of 1:01:42.
Seventeen-year-old Elijah Harding of Roakoake finished third with a time of 1:02:10, Truckee’s Jim Telling, 56, was fourth in 1:03:50, and Robert Rosenfeld, 17, of Roanoake was fifth in 1:05:16.
The run — the sixth of 11 events in the Tahoe Trail Running Series — starts in the Village at Northstar and snakes its way up the mountain over Mt. Pluto before finishing in front of the Tahoe Zephyr Lodge. It climbs more than 2,000 vertical feet, beginning at 6,350 feet, topping out at 8,383 feet and ending at 7,894.
Dolores Bergmann, 42, of Chester finished second in the women’s field and sixth overall, posting a time of 1:06:07, and Sarah Lyell of Lake Oswego, Ore., was the third woman and 17th overall in 1:13:20.
Among other top Tahoe-area finishers, Truckee’s Holden Reed finished 10th in 1:10:13, Scott Montgomery of Truckee was 32nd in 1:21:12, Lindsay Doherty of Crystal Bay was the eighth woman and 33rd overall in 1:21:41, and Jim Kramer of Truckee was 37th in 1:24:18.
A total of 97 people reached the finish line.
The Tahoe Trail Running Series continues with the Big Blue Trail Run this Saturday and the Marlette 50K on Sunday.
Find a photo gallery from the Northstar Mountain Run, and every Big Blue Adventure race, at http://www.lefrakphotography.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Achieve Tahoe celebrates 50 years changing lives through passion for the outdoors
- Homecoming football preview: Damonte Ranch at Truckee
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village
- Lake Tahoe has seen 138.65 billion gallons of water since October