Far West names U16 Western Regions team
March 13, 2014
The Far West ski team named 25 boys and 21 girls to compete in the U16 Western Regions Junior Championships in Jackson, Wyo., from March 19-23.
A total of 95 boys and 80 girls will compete from the five divisions of the Western Region — Alaska, Northern (Montana, Wyoming), Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho), Intermountain (Utah, Idaho), and Far West (California, Nevada).
The elite six boys and girls from the regional championships will be invited to attended the U16 National Championships at Park City, Utah, from April 1-6. The national event will include athletes from the three regions of the country — East, Rocky/Central and West.
The Far West team will be represented by 16 athletes from Squaw Valley, 13 from Sugar Bowl, three from Lake Tahoe Racing — an independent team out of Northstar — and three from Diamond Peak. The team also includes nine skiers from Mammoth Mountain, and two from Mountain High in Southern California.
A number of elite racers from the Tahoe Basin have the opportunity to represent the region with podium finishes in Jackson. Some of the top contenders include Maureen Label (Lake Tahoe Racing), Keely Cashman (Squaw Valley), Kathleen Smith (Sugar Bowl), Annika Hansen (Diamond Peak), Amanda Pretti (Lake Tahoe Racing), Karl Arvidsson (Squaw Valley), JP Fourie (Sugar Bowl), Luke Rodate (Sugar Bowl), Griffen Knorpp (Sugar Bowl) and Cameron Cain (Squaw Valley).
"I am very excited to attend this regional event and, as always, have high expectations from athletes from the Far West Division, specifically from the Tahoe Basin," said Lee Schmidt, head U16 coach from the Squaw Valley Race Team.
"The Far West team has a very strong group of first-years (birth year 1999) attending and I am excited to see how they participate against the older athletes (birth year 1998) from around the region. This race series is a great measuring stick to compare athletes that we only get to race against once or twice a year."
The U16 Western Regions Junior Championships will include two super G races (March 20-21), one giant slalom (March 22) and one slalom (March 23).
To view the entire Far West team competing in Western Regions, go to fwskiing.org and click on "Competition," scroll down to "Junior Championships" and choose "Western Region Marriott U16 Junior Championships."
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Some on West Shore may be without power into Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week