Holmes, Christian, McElravey 2nd in Nationals relay
March 10, 2014
JUNIOR NATIONALS FAR WEST RESULTS
3×3 freestyle relay (Saturday)
FU16: Halvorsen-Larkins-Rohlf 4th, Parker-Burrill-Lang-Ree 19th
MU16: Herhusky-Belisle-Mullings 10th
FU18: Blide-Hardy-Riggs 21st
MU18: Syben-Bordes-Zabell 10th, Carroll-Deeter-Bold 21st
FU20: Fiddler-Nivinski-Kirkeby 8th
MU20: Holmes-Christian-McElravey 2nd
Mass Start Skate (Friday)
MU20 15k: Shane Christian 6th
FU20 10k: Laurel Fiddler 15th
MU18 10k: Peter Holmes 8th, Dylan Syben 22nd, Julien Bordes 28th, Sam Zabell 40th, Aaron Deeter 60th, Carson Bold 71stPeter Carroll 72nd
FU18 10k: Amanda Kirkeby 38th,Danielle Nivinski 45th, Savannah Blide 64th, Elise Hardy 74th,
MU16 5k: Brandon Herhusky 32nd, Ryland Belisle 35th, Connor Kusumoto 36th, Trace Calvin 39th, Casey Jobe 44th, Skyler Mullings 49th,
FU16 5k: Hannah Halvorsen 3rd, Lizzie Larkins 19th, Jenna Rohlf 34th, Kyla Burrill 48th, Bri Parker 51st, Claire Lang-Ree 57th
The North Tahoe team of Peter Holmes, Shane Christian and Patrick McElravey finished second in their men's U20 division Saturday to lead Far West Nordic in the 3×3-kilometer Free Relay at the USSA Cross County Junior Championships in Stowe, Vt.
The local trio posted a time of 18:19.6, which was second only to the New England team of Jack Schrupp, Jack Hegman and Cole Morgan, which finished in 18:14.1. There were 21 teams in the MU20 division.
Holmes and Christian, both seniors at North Tahoe High School, race for Unleashed Coaching, while McElravey is as freshman at Middlebury College in Vermont.
Among other local finishes, the FU16 team of Hannah Halvorsen, Lizzie Larkins and Jenna Rohlf finished fourth, and the FU20 team of Laurel Fiddler, Danielle Nivinski and Amanda Kirkeby finished eighth. Both the MU16 team of Brandon Herhusky, Ryland Belsile and Skyler Mullings and the MU18 team of Dylan Syben, Julien Bordes and Sam Zabell recorded 10th-place finishes.
The Far West contingent also fared well in Friday's Mass Start Skate race, highlighted by Halvorsen's third-place finish, Christian's sixth place and Holmes' eighth place.
Holmes receives Dave Quinn Award
Each year the USSA Junior Cross Country Subcommittee presents the David Quinn award to recognize a Junior Olympic athlete who best exemplifies the ideals of the sport. This year's award went to Holmes, who won two national titles in Stowe.
In addition to outstanding results, the award is designed for nominees with special attributes such as love for the sport, leadership, overcoming hardship and work ethic.
Information was used from http://www.farwestnordic.org.
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Squaw-Alpine staying open through Memorial Day, others extend spring skiing season
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues