Incline and North Tahoe golf | Cornell, Highlanders win Eagle Valley tourney
March 29, 2013
The Incline and North Tahoe boys golf teams competed in a Northern Division III tournament at Eagle Valley Golf Course in Carson City on Thursday.
Incline took the team win among the six schools, posting a low score of 418 to runner-up Whittell’s 422, while North Tahoe was third with a team score of 469.
They were followed by Yerington, Sage Ridge and Hawthorne, none of which had enough golfers to record a team score.
Incline freshman Mitchell Cornell earned tournament medalist honors by carding a two-under-par 70.
“Mitchell is playing extremely well as he has worked very hard at improving on the competitive level,” said longtime Incline head coach Joe Humasti. “He has excellent course management and his play is indicative of his hard work.”
Mauro Viani of Hawthorne finished second individually, shooting a 75, and North Tahoe senior Buster Fenley placed third with a 77.
Aside from Cornell, Incline freshman Bryan Golombik carded a 78, seniors Kyle Reeves and Arjun Singh both shot an 87, and freshman Alex Davis a 96. Sophomore teammate Dylan Smith is out with a foot injury but is due back for the next match on April 18.
“Dylan and Bryan are also playing well, and Kyle and Arjun also bring a lot of tournament experience as our senior leaders,” Humasti said. “Alex continues to improve as he is new to competitive golf on the high school level.”
After Fenley’s 77, the Lakers’ Daniel Vandewiele posted a 95, Zachary Kriston a 97, Nash Baehr a 99 and Rob Grimes a 101 to round out their top five scores (the amount used for the team result).
Derek Heldt-Werle led Whittell with a 79.
“The team is very excited about winning their first match and this win gives them great confidence to play well,” Humasti said.
Trending In: Sports
- VIDEO: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team’s Lila Lapanja returning to form
- Tahoe skiing: Downhill resorts offer up new features for the 2016-17 season
- Tahoe athletes: Josh Daiek thunders into the professional freeskiing scene
- IVGID Tip: Up your game for Lake Tahoe’s ski slopes
- Truckee volleyball: Wolverines win state title in 5-set thriller
- 5 arrested near Truckee after iPhone thefts, high-speed chase (w/ mugshots)
- Opinion: Risk of catastrophic fire at Lake Tahoe just got worse
- Truckee Bank of America armed robbery: Second suspect arrested
- Tahoe under the surface: Photographer dives deep for underwater shots
- Northstar California appoints Nadia Guerriero as new GM