Incline golf | Highlanders impressive in mixed-division tournament
Ryan Summerlin May 8, 2013
The Incline golf team finished first among Division III schools and fourth overall in a mixed-division tournament at Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course in Stateline this past Friday.
A total of 17 schools and 92 golfers participated, with Division I-A Lowry taking the team win with a low score of 398 between its top five players. Elko was second, at 433, and Spring Creek third at 437. Incline was the top DIII school, posting a 438, while White Pine was right on the Highlanders’ heels with a 443.
Mitchell Cornell led the Incline squad individually, tying for third with a 77. Incline’s Bryan Golombik shot an 86, Dylan Smith and Kyle Reeves 88s, and Arjun Singh a 99.
Nick Marich of White Pine earned tournament medalist honors by firing a 74. Cole Erquiaga of Lowry was second with a 75. Cornell tied with Lowry’s Ethan Gray and defending DIII state champ Ty Pickel of White Pine.
The Highlanders will compete in the Northern Division III regional tournament at Ruby View Golf Course in Elko on Wednesday, where they hope to qualify for the state championship tournament as a team by finishing among the top three.
Incline coach Joe Humasti said White Pine should be the Highlanders’ main competition.
“Our goal is just to play consistent and be competitive,” he said.
Trending In: Sports
- PHOTOS: Marco Capelli wins inaugural Truckee Marathon
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- Truckee JV Pop Warner football team improves to 1-1 with win over Sparks
- Truckee prep roundup: Girls soccer stays unbeaten after wins over South Tahoe, Incline