Incline golf | Highlanders win season-opening tournament
September 11, 2013
The Incline girls golf team opened its season with a first-place finish in a Division III tournament at Washoe Valley Golf Course this past Thursday.
"I was pleased with the play of the girls," said longtime Incline golf coach Joe Humasti. "They all show a lot of enthusiasm."
North Tahoe's Abbi Johnson earned tournament medalist honors by carding a 48 in the nine-hole tournament, which was reduced from 18 holes due to winds in excess of 30 mph.
Incline freshman Kennedy Cohn finished runner-up with a 50, and teammate Lauren Keller was third with a 53. Incline's Tori Findlen fired a 54, Christine Schwartz a 59, Brooke Ruhl a 60 and Karyess Thompson a 66.
The individual efforts were plenty good enough to earn the Highlanders first place ahead of Yerington, with a team score of 191 to the Lions' 307. North Tahoe had only the one golfer.
Among Incline's JV squad, Bridget Johnson shot a 75 and Rachael Coilarchik an 85.
Incline is scheduled to host a tournament at Eagle Valley Golf Course near Carson City on Thursday.
Trending In: Sports
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: Top 5 picks for Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month deals
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms