Incline golf | Schwartz, Kelly lead Highlanders to regional title at Eagle Valley
October 9, 2013
The Incline girls didn’t need their No. 1 player to earn the Northern Division III regional golf title.
Playing without junior Devi Meyers, who was stung by a bee and did not compete, the Incline girls posted a low score of 430 between their top four scorers at the regional championship tournament in Carson City on Tuesday.
The young Incline squad stepped up in Meyers’ absence.
Incline freshman Christine Schwartz edged out junior teammate Lauren Kelly by one stroke to capture the low medalist honors, carding a 100 to Keller’s 101, while Kennedy Cohn posted a 114 and Tori Findlen a 115 to round out the top four scores (the amount used for the team result). Brooke Ruhl came in at 122.
“I’m really proud of all the girls,” said Incline coach Joe Humasti. “That was a total team effort. They all performed well without Devi and gave it their best shot. I was very pleased with their play.”
Battle Mountain, which posted a team score of 507, finished runner-up to Incline to earn the second and final seed in the Division III state championship. The two-day tournament will be contested out at West Wendover’s Toana Vista Golf Course on Thursday and Friday, Oct. 17-18.
Yerington was third with a 605. North Tahoe did not have a complete team.
While the top two teams advanced, the top five individuals from non-qualifying teams also earned state berths. They included North Tahoe’s Abbi Johnson, who shot a 116 Tuesday, and Yerington’s Lillian Klain (135), Shelby Hawkin (138), Blanca Guzman (156) and Areli Sanchez (176).
“Overall I am very pleased with the way our team responded to the pressure of a regional tournament,” Humasti said. “The play of Brooke, Christine, Kennedy, Lauren and Tori impressed our coaching staff and showed the importance of team play.”
Meyers is scheduled to play in the state tournament.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck