Incline golf | Schwartz, Kelly lead Highlanders to regional title at Eagle Valley
October 9, 2013
The Incline girls didn't need their No. 1 player to earn the Northern Division III regional golf title.
Playing without junior Devi Meyers, who was stung by a bee and did not compete, the Incline girls posted a low score of 430 between their top four scorers at the regional championship tournament in Carson City on Tuesday.
The young Incline squad stepped up in Meyers' absence.
Incline freshman Christine Schwartz edged out junior teammate Lauren Kelly by one stroke to capture the low medalist honors, carding a 100 to Keller's 101, while Kennedy Cohn posted a 114 and Tori Findlen a 115 to round out the top four scores (the amount used for the team result). Brooke Ruhl came in at 122.
"I'm really proud of all the girls," said Incline coach Joe Humasti. "That was a total team effort. They all performed well without Devi and gave it their best shot. I was very pleased with their play."
Battle Mountain, which posted a team score of 507, finished runner-up to Incline to earn the second and final seed in the Division III state championship. The two-day tournament will be contested out at West Wendover's Toana Vista Golf Course on Thursday and Friday, Oct. 17-18.
Yerington was third with a 605. North Tahoe did not have a complete team.
While the top two teams advanced, the top five individuals from non-qualifying teams also earned state berths. They included North Tahoe's Abbi Johnson, who shot a 116 Tuesday, and Yerington's Lillian Klain (135), Shelby Hawkin (138), Blanca Guzman (156) and Areli Sanchez (176).
"Overall I am very pleased with the way our team responded to the pressure of a regional tournament," Humasti said. "The play of Brooke, Christine, Kennedy, Lauren and Tori impressed our coaching staff and showed the importance of team play."
Meyers is scheduled to play in the state tournament.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe Top 5: Local experts share their favorite trails around North Lake to soak up some sunshine with dogs
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100-mile race
- Lake Tahoe stormwater site goes live
- Squaw Valley ends ski and snowboard lift operations for 2016-17 season
- Rescuers stress importance of water safety at Lake Tahoe
- Researchers discover three new toad species in Nevada’s Great Basin
- Truckee Donner Land Trust and Nature Conservancy secure another piece of the Sierra
- Former Truckee officer charged with multiple counts of assault
- Detwiler Fire Update: 76,500 acres burned in Mariposa County; 50 percent containment
- Clearly Tahoe offers new perspective of Lake Tahoe with clear kayaks