Incline soccer | Boys earn comeback win at Whittell
October 1, 2013
ZEPHYR COVE — The Highlanders put Whittell's goalkeeper to work in the second half.
Trailing 1-0 at halftime, Incline picked up the pace, firing off four shots in the first five minutes of the second half. Whittell goalkeeper Aubrey Felton fought off the attack, but Incline eventually found net. The Highlanders surged back to win 2-1 on Thursday in Zephyr Cove.
Whittell took an early lead despite being down its leading scorer, Mark Waite.
Dillon Stetler scored the first goal for Whittell off an assist from Bryce Bronken. Bronken took a shot on goal and Stetler followed it up.
Incline answered back in the 55th minute of the game when Highlander striker Rey Estrada shook Whittell's defense and tied the game.
Ten minutes later, Incline's Hugo Garcia made good on a penalty kick for the go-ahead goal.
"We were a little bit sleepy in the first half, but we woke up and had a good comeback," Garcia said. "We played as a team and communicated well as a team."
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Squaw-Alpine staying open through Memorial Day, others extend spring skiing season
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues