Incline soccer | Boys earn comeback win at Whittell
Ryan Summerlin October 1, 2013
ZEPHYR COVE — The Highlanders put Whittell’s goalkeeper to work in the second half.
Trailing 1-0 at halftime, Incline picked up the pace, firing off four shots in the first five minutes of the second half. Whittell goalkeeper Aubrey Felton fought off the attack, but Incline eventually found net. The Highlanders surged back to win 2-1 on Thursday in Zephyr Cove.
Whittell took an early lead despite being down its leading scorer, Mark Waite.
Dillon Stetler scored the first goal for Whittell off an assist from Bryce Bronken. Bronken took a shot on goal and Stetler followed it up.
Incline answered back in the 55th minute of the game when Highlander striker Rey Estrada shook Whittell’s defense and tied the game.
Ten minutes later, Incline’s Hugo Garcia made good on a penalty kick for the go-ahead goal.
“We were a little bit sleepy in the first half, but we woke up and had a good comeback,” Garcia said. “We played as a team and communicated well as a team.”
Trending In: Sports
- PHOTOS: Marco Capelli wins inaugural Truckee Marathon
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- Take a hike: Scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret well worth the work (video)
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- Truckee JV Pop Warner football team improves to 1-1 with win over Sparks