Incline soccer | Highlanders continue winning ways
October 23, 2013
The Incline soccer teams put in some serious miles this past weekend as they traveled to West Wendover and White Pine for Northern Division III contests.
The girls (11-0-1 league) returned with a pair of shutout victories, both by 5-0 scores. They followed with an 11-0 rout at Yerington in another league game Tuesday.
The boys (7-0-2 league) opened the road trip with a 7-0 win at West Wendover on Friday. The Highlanders then ran into a scrappy White Pine squad the next day, which resulted in a 1-1 tie. Incline's boys got back on track with a 7-1 win at Yerington on Tuesday.
At West Wendover, Incline sophomore Vanessa Andrade put the Highlanders on the board with a goal assisted by Elise Nelson in the first minute. Nelson scored on an assist from Sami Lampe in the 13th minute, and Nelson scored another goal unassisted in the 31st minute to give Incline a 3-0 lead at the half.
In the second half, Alondra Luna scored a goal assisted by Kassasndra Luna, while starting keeper Sarah Wright ventured from the goal to record the final score unassisted.
Nelson opened the scoring against White Pine in the eighth minute, assisted by Andrade, while Kim May buried a penalty kick in the 36th minute. Nelson scored again six minutes into the second half, assisted by Lampe, and Kassandra Luna scored off an assist from Emily Donohue just three minutes later. Andrade rounded out the scoring two minutes after that.
Against Yerington, Andrade scored the first two goals in the second and third minutes of the contest. Nelson added two goals to the rout, while Lampe, Taylor Cheney, Caroline May, Caitlyn May, Kandace Dirga and Donohue each contributed one goal.
For the Incline boys, sophomore Rey Estrada notched a hat trick (three goals) against West Wendover, while Salvador Vargas tallied a goal and two assists in the win.
Junior Marlon Correa scored the Highlanders' lone goal against White Pine — a game in which the sideline referee was a White Pine student.
Both Incline teams are scheduled to host big league games against Whittell on Wednesday, boys at 3 p.m. and girls at 5. The Highlanders will host North Tahoe to end the regular season on Tuesday. Incline also will host the Northern Division III regional tournament Nov. 8-9.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Truckee Raptors youth basketball team crowned champs
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan