Incline swimming | Baldwin qualifies for state in 100, 200 free
May 15, 2013
Incline’s Jimmy Baldwin did not disappoint at the Northern Region Swimming Finals in Carson City this past Saturday.
Baldwin qualified to compete in the Division I-A State Swimming Championships in two events — the 100- and 200-yard freestyles. He finished third in the 200 free, posting a time of 1:56.84, and was fourth in the 100 free, in a time of 53.46.
The top four finishers in each event advanced to the state championship. But first, swimmers had to advance past a trials round on Friday, which required a top-eight finish. Incline, a Division III school, competes among the larger Division I-A in swimming, making it that much tougher on the Highlanders.
Nevertheless, aside from Baldwin’s state-qualifying performances, the Incline girls advanced several relay teams past the trials round.
The girls 200-yard medley relay team, made up of Caroline Parkhill, Marcella Collins, Jordan Jones, Anna Hartman, Chloe Whatmore and Rachel Colarchik, came closest to earning a state berth. The group finished fifth, one spot away from qualifying, in a time of 2:26.03.
The Incline girls 400 freestyle relay, with Colarchik, Collins, Tonking, Jones and Joanna Koukouvetakis, finished sixth in 4:58.49, and the girls 200 freestyle relay of Colarchik, Parkhill, Hartman, Kerrie Tonking, Mariah Hartley and Jones was seventh in 2:27.65.
The state championship meet is scheduled for Saturday, May 18, at the Carson Aquatic Center.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- U.S. Ski Team’s Tim Jitloff, a Truckee native, talks life on and off the slopes
- Truckee prep roundup: Haas first Wolverine to win boys tennis state title
- Truckee football: ‘We’re very proud of our guys’ following high-stakes rivalry win
- North Tahoe football: Lakers put ‘Hurt’ on Silver Stage in 34-0 rout
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump