Incline swimming | Girls qualify five for state
May 21, 2014
Incline state qualifiers
Ciera Winberg: 3rd 200 free (2:22.57)
Kristina Goetz: 4th 50 free (28.61)
Girls 200 free relay (Tonking, Collins, George, Goetz): 3rd (1:57.85)
The Incline girls qualified five swimmers while placing fifth as a team in the Northern Division I-A regional swimming finals in Carson City this past Saturday.
Incline freshman Ciera Winberg advanced to the state meet with a third-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle race, posting a time of 2:22.57. Teammate Kristina Goetz also made the state cut, as she finished fourth in the 50 free with a time of 28.61.
The top four finishers in each event qualified for state, which will be contested in Las Vegas on Saturday, May 24.
Aside from the Highlanders’ two individual qualifiers, their girls 200 free relay team of Kerrie Tonking, Marcella Collins, Jessica George and Goetz advanced with a third-place finish in 1:57.85.
Winberg finished just outside of qualifying in the 500 free, placing fifth, while the Incline girls 200 medley relay and 400 free relay teams also finished fifth.
Truckee’s girls team, which won eight races, edged the South Tahoe girls by just three points, 328-325, to claim the regional title. The Lowry girls were third with 190 points, followed by Fallon with 146, Incline with 144, Sage Ridge (112), Fernley (84), North Tahoe (52) and Sparks (44).
In the boys competition, South Tahoe captured the regional championship with a high score of 282 points. The Vikings were followed by Sage Ridge (259), Truckee (230), Fernley (217), Lowry (196), Fallon (137) and Sparks (84).
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Achieve Tahoe celebrates 50 years changing lives through passion for the outdoors
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village