Incline track | Nix, Colby lead shorthanded squad at Carson Invite
May 8, 2014
A lean group of seven Highlanders represented the Incline track and field team at the Carson Invite last Saturday.
The meet featured 29 schools across all divisions.
Incline junior Valeri Nix competed in four events and posted personal-record (PR) times in both the 200- and 400-meter dashes. Nix placed ninth out of 41 runners in the 200, recording a time of 28 seconds flat, and was ninth in the 400 in a field of 32 runners with a time of 66.20.
Nix also finished 13th in the 100-meter hurdles, in 18.03, and was part of the 4 x 200 relay team that placed seventh in 1:59.
Sophomore teammate Sami Lampe set a PR in the shot put with a throw of 21-09.75 and was part of the 4 x 200 and 4 x 100 relay teams. The 4 x 100 team, which also included Kandace Dirga, Zaira Padilla and Arantza Alcantara, posted a time of 56.50.
Padilla set a PR in the 100 with a time of 14.5 and was part of the 4 x 200 relay as well.
Dirga finished with an identical time as Padilla in the 100 (14.5). She also posted a time of 30.30 in the 200 and was part of the 4 x 200 relay.
Alcantara recorded a time of 15.6 in the 100 and 75.69 in the 400.
Two Incline boys competed, sophomore Matt Colby and freshman Nick Barnard, and both fared well.
Colby established PRs in all three of his events. He placed seventh out of 39 runners in the 300 hurdles with a time of 44.60, was ninth in the 110 hurdles in 16.85 and tied for 12th in the 100 in 11.70.
Barnard, meanwhile, set PRs in two events, as he recorded a time of 65.70 in the 400 and 2:35.75 in the 800.
The Highlanders will compete with a full team in the High Desert Invitational at Reed High School on Friday, May 2.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Truckee football: Wolverines top South Tahoe 21-20 in Sierra Bowl
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people (4 locals) in vehicle burglary, theft cases
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements