Incline track | Stephanie Homola third at Fallon
March 20, 2013
The Incline track and field team competed this past Saturday in the second Mount Rose League meet of the season at Sparks, where they earned a number of top finishes.
In the sprint events, Incline sophomore Valerie Nix captured the win in the 400-meter dash while finishing fourth in the 100-meter dash and fifth in the 200.
She posted a winning time of 1:06.47 in the 400 to South Tahoe runner-up Diana Gomez's 1:09.69. She recorded a time of 13.69 in the 100 and 28.72 in the 200. South Tahoe's Jennifer Burks (12.68) won the 100 and Truckee's Quinn Parker (26.35) won the 200.
Nix wasn't the only Highlander to win an event.
Freshman Kira Porter claimed victory in both the high jump and long jump, while senior teammate Tara Lincoln won the triple jump and Blake Perry won the boys high jump.
Porter cleared the bar at 4 feet, 8 inches in the high jump, which was two inches higher than North Tahoe's Allie Doyle. Porter narrowly defeated South Tahoe's Kimberly Marquez-Sanchez in the long jump, as she leapt 12 feet, 9.5 inches to Marquez-Sanchez's 12-9. Lincoln was third for the Highlanders with a leap of 12-8, and Mia Harbaugh was fourth at 12-6.
Recommended Stories For You
The Incline girls swept the top three spots in the triple jump, led by Lincoln with a jump of 29-8.5. Porter finished second at 29-7 and Harbaugh was third at 26-3.5.
Perry, a freshman, took the win in the boys high jump by clearing the bar at 5-4. Freshman teammate Josh Lewis tied for second by clearing 5-2.
Lewis also finished second in both the long jump, with a leap of 17-4, and the triple jump, with a jump of 37 feet.
Incline sophomore Will Cory finished third in the 400 in a time of 56.83, to Truckee winner Tobias Ziegler's 53.24, and freshman Ryan Eppolito was third in the 800, posting a time of 2:18.62 to Whittell winner Mark Waite's 2:15.25. Eppolito also was fifth in the 1,600 and seventh in the 400.
Freshman Stephanie Homola took third in the 1,600 in a time of 6:10.12. Karley Martinez of South Tahoe won in 5:51.47.
The Highlanders are scheduled to compete in the 41st Annual Fallon Elks Invitational on Saturday, March 23.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Vonn feels focused heading into ski season
- Nevada Wolf Pack faces similar foe in Davidson
- Truckee volleyball finishes year with highest GPA in the state
- With new snow, Arapahoe Basin, Breckenridge, Keystone and Copper all open additional terrain
- Truckee Tahoe ski resorts opening for 2017-18 season (updated)
- New mountain community under construction in Carson Ridge
- New possible grocery store for Truckee
- Martis Valley West battle heats up
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)