Incline’s Harrison Holetz claims International Junior Golf Tour event
May 8, 2013
RENO — In high winds that challenged the toughness of the field, Harrison Holetz of Incline Village took home his first International Junior Golf Tour (IJGT) title after putting together two solid rounds at the Reno Junior at ArrowCreek Country Club this past weekend.
On Saturday, Holetz began his round with a bogey on the first hole, but quickly responded with two birdies in his next five holes. After struggling for two holes, Holetz hit the best shot of the tournament on No. 9, which led to an eagle on the 593-yard, par-5.
Holetz carried the momentum to the back nine, giving him a 1-over-par 73 on the day. This was the lowest score of the day, giving him the KENTWOOL Socks Lo-Pro Award.
Going into Sunday’s final round, Holetz had a three-stroke lead over David Hinitz of Reno. It quickly tightened up as Holetz made a few costly mistakes in the first 11 holes. After Hinitz made birdie on No. 14 on the Legend Course, the Boys 15-19 Division was tied. This is when Holetz turned it up a notch. He finished par-eagle-birdie-par to capture the title and finish his day with a 5-over-par 77.
“Today, I had a funky front nine and then on the back, I started really bad, but came back at the end with par-eagle-birdie-par,” Holetz said. “So that was helpful.”
The key to Holetz’s success was his dominance on the par 5s. He played them in 5-under-par over the course of the weekend.
Hinitz could not match Holetz’s finish, but was still able to secure second place with a solid tournament total of 153. Finishing in third place was Patrick Phelps of Reno, who recorded a tournament score of 164.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck