Ironman Lake Tahoe expands lineup
April 22, 2014
For the first time in the United States, Ironman and Ironman 70.3 will take place on the same day when Ironman Lake Tahoe returns to the North Shore on Sept. 21.
The Ironman 70.3 race, also known as a Half Ironman, will lead athletes through a 1.2-mile swim, a 56-mile bike and a 13.1-mile run on the same terrain as the full-distance Ironman Lake Tahoe triathlon.
The Ironman 70.3 Lake Tahoe is the 25th race in the U.S. Series. Last year's inaugural Ironman Lake Tahoe sold out registration within a day.
"As Ironman expands globally, there is an increased desire for athletes from all regions to have similar opportunities," said Steve Meckfessel, managing director of Global Race Operations for Ironman. "Lake Tahoe is a perfect venue for this program as it allows athletes with different fitness levels and goals to experience everything Lake Tahoe and the surrounding region has to offer."
Trending In: Sports
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest