Ironman Lake Tahoe expands lineup
April 22, 2014
For the first time in the United States, Ironman and Ironman 70.3 will take place on the same day when Ironman Lake Tahoe returns to the North Shore on Sept. 21.
The Ironman 70.3 race, also known as a Half Ironman, will lead athletes through a 1.2-mile swim, a 56-mile bike and a 13.1-mile run on the same terrain as the full-distance Ironman Lake Tahoe triathlon.
The Ironman 70.3 Lake Tahoe is the 25th race in the U.S. Series. Last year's inaugural Ironman Lake Tahoe sold out registration within a day.
"As Ironman expands globally, there is an increased desire for athletes from all regions to have similar opportunities," said Steve Meckfessel, managing director of Global Race Operations for Ironman. "Lake Tahoe is a perfect venue for this program as it allows athletes with different fitness levels and goals to experience everything Lake Tahoe and the surrounding region has to offer."
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Crews to cut power for hour at Martis Camp, Schaffer’s Mill, other locations due to dangerous tree
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week