Jake’s Charity Fishing Derby returning for its 21st year
May 15, 2014
Jake’s Charity Fishing Derby
Date: Sunday, June 1
Time: One hour before sunrise to high noon
Location: Lake Forest boat launch/Jake’s on the Lake
Prizes: $1,000 Mackinaw, brown trout; $250 rainbow trout
Cost: $60 per person
Pre-registration: Jake’s on the Lake, Pete ‘N Peters
You know summer is just around the corner when Jake’s Charity Fishing Derby hits the North Shore.
The annual derby is set to return for the 21st year on Sunday, June 1, with the competition taking place from one hour before sunrise to high noon.
Now called the Mike Kise Memorial Charity Fishing Derby, Raffle & Brunch— named in honor of the longtime Jake’s on the Lake manager and derby co-founder — the fundraising event awards anglers who haul in the largest rainbow trout, brown trout and Mackinaw.
The heaviest Mackinaw and brown trout are worth $1,000 apiece, while the largest rainbow pays out $250. Not a single brown trout was caught in last year’s derby, which doubled this year’s normally $500 prize for the winning brown.
In that 2013 derby, Captain Chris Wichman and Frank Robinson reeled in the largest Mackinaw, weighing in at 10.84 pounds, and Travis Jones and Seth Williams caught the largest rainbow, at 5.48 pounds. Al Younger’s 26.32-pound Mackinaw from 2012 stands as the derby record.
The $60 entry fee includes a T-shirt, raffle and buffet brunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Proceeds benefit the North Tahoe Booster Club nonprofit.
Entrants must pre-register in Tahoe City at Jake’s on the Lake or Pete ‘N Peters by 5 p.m. Saturday, May 31. Those who don’t fish are welcome to attend the brunch buffet for $22 a person, or $12 for children.
The Lake Forest boat launch ramp in Tahoe City (at the Coast Guard Station) will open at 4 a.m. the day of the derby, and boat launch fees will be waived at this ramp for Jake’s Fishing Derby entrants. Limited temporary boat parking during weigh-in and brunch can be found at the Grove Street pier, or at the west and southwest outer crib of the Tahoe City Marina.
For boat inspection/decontamination information as well as boat ramp information, visit http://www.TahoeBoatInspections.com. For more information and rules and regulations, visit http://www.jakestahoe.com or call 530-583-0188. Jake’s on the Lake is located at 780 North Lake Boulevard, Boatworks Mall, in front of the Tahoe City Marina.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck