Jake’s on the Lake 20th annual fishing derby set for return
May 29, 2013
If you go
What: Jake’s on the Lake 20th annual fishing derby
Where: Jake’s on the Lake, Tahoe City
When: June 2
Every June Jake's on the Lake hosts their annual fishing derby and every June the whoppers come reeling in.
Last year's $1,000 prize winner was Al Younger with a 26.32-pound mackinaw — the largest fish ever caught in the derby. Younger also reeled in a nearly 5-pound brown trout, taking the top spot in two categories.
This year's derby is slated for June 2. The event benefits Mike Kise Medical Relief and Tahoe Safe Alliance.
The annual fishing derby is one of Lake Tahoe's only fishing competitions. Last year, dozens of fish were delivered. For those who don't fish, brunch is available. The derby costs $50 to enter, which includes a buffet brunch, derby T-shirt and raffle tickets.
Prize money will be awarded for the largest mackinaw ($1,000), brown ($500) and rainbow trout ($250). The derby begins one hour before sunrise and last until noon. Competitors must register at Jake's on the Lake or Pete 'N Peter's by 5 p.m., June 1.
Dylan Silver, Lake Tahoe Action
Trending In: Sports
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest