Jake’s on the Lake 20th annual fishing derby set for return
May 29, 2013
If you go
What: Jake’s on the Lake 20th annual fishing derby
Where: Jake’s on the Lake, Tahoe City
When: June 2
Every June Jake’s on the Lake hosts their annual fishing derby and every June the whoppers come reeling in.
Last year’s $1,000 prize winner was Al Younger with a 26.32-pound mackinaw — the largest fish ever caught in the derby. Younger also reeled in a nearly 5-pound brown trout, taking the top spot in two categories.
This year’s derby is slated for June 2. The event benefits Mike Kise Medical Relief and Tahoe Safe Alliance.
The annual fishing derby is one of Lake Tahoe’s only fishing competitions. Last year, dozens of fish were delivered. For those who don’t fish, brunch is available. The derby costs $50 to enter, which includes a buffet brunch, derby T-shirt and raffle tickets.
Prize money will be awarded for the largest mackinaw ($1,000), brown ($500) and rainbow trout ($250). The derby begins one hour before sunrise and last until noon. Competitors must register at Jake’s on the Lake or Pete ‘N Peter’s by 5 p.m., June 1.
Dylan Silver, Lake Tahoe Action
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck