Jake’s on the Lake 20th annual fishing derby set for return
May 29, 2013
If you go
What: Jake’s on the Lake 20th annual fishing derby
Where: Jake’s on the Lake, Tahoe City
When: June 2
Every June Jake's on the Lake hosts their annual fishing derby and every June the whoppers come reeling in.
Last year's $1,000 prize winner was Al Younger with a 26.32-pound mackinaw — the largest fish ever caught in the derby. Younger also reeled in a nearly 5-pound brown trout, taking the top spot in two categories.
This year's derby is slated for June 2. The event benefits Mike Kise Medical Relief and Tahoe Safe Alliance.
The annual fishing derby is one of Lake Tahoe's only fishing competitions. Last year, dozens of fish were delivered. For those who don't fish, brunch is available. The derby costs $50 to enter, which includes a buffet brunch, derby T-shirt and raffle tickets.
Prize money will be awarded for the largest mackinaw ($1,000), brown ($500) and rainbow trout ($250). The derby begins one hour before sunrise and last until noon. Competitors must register at Jake's on the Lake or Pete 'N Peter's by 5 p.m., June 1.
Dylan Silver, Lake Tahoe Action
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Squaw-Alpine staying open through Memorial Day, others extend spring skiing season
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered