Jake’s on the Lake 20th annual fishing derby set for return
Ryan Summerlin May 29, 2013
If you go
What: Jake’s on the Lake 20th annual fishing derby
Where: Jake’s on the Lake, Tahoe City
When: June 2
Every June Jake’s on the Lake hosts their annual fishing derby and every June the whoppers come reeling in.
Last year’s $1,000 prize winner was Al Younger with a 26.32-pound mackinaw — the largest fish ever caught in the derby. Younger also reeled in a nearly 5-pound brown trout, taking the top spot in two categories.
This year’s derby is slated for June 2. The event benefits Mike Kise Medical Relief and Tahoe Safe Alliance.
The annual fishing derby is one of Lake Tahoe’s only fishing competitions. Last year, dozens of fish were delivered. For those who don’t fish, brunch is available. The derby costs $50 to enter, which includes a buffet brunch, derby T-shirt and raffle tickets.
Prize money will be awarded for the largest mackinaw ($1,000), brown ($500) and rainbow trout ($250). The derby begins one hour before sunrise and last until noon. Competitors must register at Jake’s on the Lake or Pete ‘N Peter’s by 5 p.m., June 1.
Dylan Silver, Lake Tahoe Action
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- PHOTOS: Marco Capelli wins inaugural Truckee Marathon
- Truckee JV Pop Warner football team improves to 1-1 with win over Sparks
- Truckee prep roundup: Girls soccer stays unbeaten after wins over South Tahoe, Incline