Junior golf tour tees off at Old Greenwood
July 10, 2013
The Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour season kicked off with a weather-challenged day at Old Greenwood Golf Course on Tuesday, June 25, but the storm gave the 56 golfers just enough of a window to get their rounds in.
The McCormick girls picked up where they left off in 2012 with Kenzie McCormick winning the girls 8-9 age group with a 58 and Haley McCormick taking first in the 10-11 group with a 64.
Lauren Hickam led the girls 12-14 age group with a 64 on the long Old Greenwood layout. Leandra Ohlson won the girls 15-17 with a 59 in her first Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour (TTJGT) tournament.
The boys 8-9 group saw TTJGT newcomers take the first four positions. Ethan Raymore, Olin Silverman, Carson Jensen and Max Carter placed first through fourth, respectively, in their first tournament with scores of 58, 61, 64 and 67. Returning player Diego Rodrigues placed fifth and will be challenging the newcomers in future events.
Jackson Brown finished a familiar first in the 10-11 boys age group with a 55 — he also won two events in 2012. Ethan Flynn was close behind with a 57, and Shane Poe finished third with a 68.
The 12-13 boys made up the largest age group with 19 junior golfers competing. Quinn Earley won his sixth straight event going back to 2012 with a 43. The competition looks to be getting tired of seeing Quinn take home first place as there was a tie for second one stroke back at 44 with scores by Josh Wiegandt and Dylan Heins. The 12-13 age group looks to be competitive this season.
Logan Lowe and Manny Manzone won the 14-15 and 16-17 age groups with scores of 40. Due to the weather, the event was shortened to nine holes for the older age groups that normally play 18.
The second TTJG tournament was held Tuesday at Coyote Moon. Go to http://www.ttjgt.com for more information on the tour and to see full field results from Old Greenwood. The season-long Tahoe Truckee Junior Cup point race can be followed on the Score Board page on the website.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Explore Tahoe-Truckee: Incredible views above Lake Tahoe from the Mt. Rose Highway Scenic Overlook
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists