Junior golfers swing through Coyote Moon
July 18, 2013
TRUCKEE — Playing golf at the Coyote Moon Golf Course is always a fantastic day. Playing in a tournament is even better. The Moon did not let down 61 of Truckee’s best junior golfers at the second stop of the 2013 Truckee Tahoe Junior Golf Tour on Tuesday, July 9.
Cody Tilton, who will be rejoining the Truckee High School golf team for his senior year after helping Bishop Manogue win the 2013 Nevada State High School Golf Championships, led the field with a strong 37. He won the boys 16-17 age group. Leandra Ohlson won the girls 15-17 with a 56.
Jayden Commendatore placed first in the boys 14-15 age group. Will Belden was second with a 65. Nicole Macan led the 12-14 girls with a 61. Jillian Ferre was second with a 64. Montana Murphy came in third with a 78.
A total of 24 juniors competed in the boys 12-13 division, with Quinn Earley holding off Joshua Wiegandt by one stroke for his seventh TTJGT first-place finish. Quinn shot 40 on the challenging front nine. Isaac Mozen placed third with a 45 followed by Airon Yarbrough at 46. Cooper Davis shot 50 to come in fifth.
Haley McCormick won her second TTJGT tournament of the year in the girls 10-11 age group. She shot 56. Carly Davis came in second with a 64. Jordyn Jensen finished a sold third followed two strokes back by Riva Milner. Annika Thayer came in fifth in her first ever golf tournament.
The TTJGT juniors play all season long for the TTJGT Cup for their respective age groups. Competitors receive points for finishing in the Top 5 of each event. The Tour Championship, which is the last event of the season and held at Gray’s Crossing, is a double point event. Juniors must play in at least three of the five events to be eligible to win the season-long award.
Jackson Brown and Ethan Flynn tied with scores of 57 among the 10-11-year-olds. Jackson won the first-place medal in a scorecard playoff. The two players split the first and second place Cup points. Shane Poe finished third with a 66. Jake Tedsen place fourth and Cody Flynn came in fifth in his first TTJGT appearance.
Kenzie McCormick won the 8-9 girls convincingly with a 61. Whitney Wingard earned her highest TTJGT finish coming in second place. Katie Cochran and Ryan Flynn finished third and fourth, respectively.
Gabe Smith came out of the gates firing in the boys 8-9 division with a 52 to win first place by four strokes and get right back in the hunt for the TTJGT Cup after missing the opening event at Old Greenwood. Connor Macan finished second with a 56 followed by Huck Raymore with a 61. Diego Rodriguez placed fourth with a 62 and Olin Silverman grabbed fifth.
Huck Raymore is leading the 8-9 boys Cup race with 8 points after two events. Olin Silverman and Gabe Smith are second with 5 points followed by Connor Macan and then Diego Rodriguez, who has 3 points.
For complete scores and Cup updates go to http://www.ttjgt.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Achieve Tahoe celebrates 50 years changing lives through passion for the outdoors
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village