Lake Tahoe Marathon returning for 18th year this Friday-Sunday
September 26, 2013
If you go
What: 18th annual Lake Tahoe Marathon
When: 7 a.m. Friday (Emerald Bay Marathon), 7 a.m. Saturday (Cal-Neva Marathon), 7 a.m. Sunday (Tahoe City Marathon)
Where: Watch out for runners on the highways all weekend.
Tickets: $130 for marathon registration
More than 2,000 athletes are pouring into South Lake Tahoe for the 18th annual Lake Tahoe Marathon this Friday through Sunday.
The weekend is stacked with options. Athletes will be running, walking, biking, swimming, kayaking or stand-up paddling in 30 different events that are spread throughout the three-day event. There will, of course, be a traditional-length marathon (26.2 miles) and half-marathon every day.
The Emerald Bay Marathon is up first. Runners will take off at 7 a.m. on Friday from Emerald Bay and make their way to Spooner Lake for the finish. Runners will be back at it the same time Saturday for marathon number two from Spooner Summit to Tahoe City, known as the Cal-Neva Marathon.
The weekend ends the same way it originally started, with the traditional Lake Tahoe Marathon. The final run starts at Commons Beach in Tahoe City and wraps up at Pope Beach near South Lake Tahoe.
The Friday Emerald Bay Half Marathon and the three-day Half Marathon Trifecta are now sold out, but everything else was open as of Wednesday morning. Online registration will close at noon on Thursday. Late registering will continue at the Expo on Friday and Saturday.
For a complete schedule and more information about road closures and delays visit http://www.laketahoemarathon.com.
Trending In: Sports
- VIDEO: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team’s Lila Lapanja returning to form
- Tahoe skiing: Downhill resorts offer up new features for the 2016-17 season
- Tahoe athletes: Josh Daiek thunders into the professional freeskiing scene
- Truckee girls soccer: Wolverines cap dream season with state title
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Truckee Bank of America armed robbery: Second suspect arrested
- Opinion: Risk of catastrophic fire at Lake Tahoe just got worse
- Tahoe under the surface: Photographer dives deep for underwater shots
- 5 arrested near Truckee after iPhone thefts, high-speed chase (w/ mugshots)
- Northstar California appoints Nadia Guerriero as new GM