Large turnout for Burton Creek Trail Run
June 27, 2013
More than 350 athletes competed in Big Blue Adventure's annual Burton Creek Trail Run near Tahoe City this past Sunday.
The event featured four racing distances — a 50-kilometer, half-marathon, 12K and 6K — all held on the challenging single-track trail system within Burton Creek State Park.
Noah Brautigam of Truckee raced to a commanding victory in the 50K, as he crossed the finish line in a time of 3 hours, 52 minutes, 12 seconds. Jon Rockwood of Olympic Valley finished runner-up in 4:27:13, and James Johnson of Truckee was third in 4:28:10.
Kathleen Steinberg of Jackson claimed the women's win and was fourth overall in 4:28:23, and Rachel Barth of Incline Village placed second among women and sixth overall in 4:37:06. Caroline Barichievich of South Lake Tahoe was the third women and eighth overall in 4:49:51.
The South Shore's Ryan Weibel rounded out the top five in 4:36:33, and Alan Barichievich, also of South Lake Tahoe, rounded out the top 10, in 5:03:29.
Thirty-one people took on the Burton Creek Trail Run's longest distance.
In the half marathon, Chris Cloyd of Truckee took the narrow win ahead of Truckee's Steven Benesi, 1:34:22.23 to 1:34:23.64. Forest Kirk of Chico was third in 1:36:26. Jim Telling of Truckee was ninth in 1:39:40.
Kristin Walstad of Alta was the top woman and fourth overall in 1:36:29. Carnelian Bay's Danielle Zick was the top Tahoe-area woman, placing fourth (16th overall) in 1:48:50.
A total of 135 people competed in the half marathon.
Truckee's Jesse Stocking won the 12K run, posting a time of 56:23, while Jim Mansoor of Davis was second in 56:57 and Truckee's Kyle Rinella was third in 57:31.
Dolores Bergmann, who made the trip from Chester to race, was the top woman and fourth overall in 58:20. She was trailed by Amber Monforte of South Lake Tahoe, who was ninth overall in 1:02:28, and Amy Villaret of South Lake Tahoe, who was 11th overall in 1:05:06. The South Shore's Eder Vazquez was sixth in 1:01:38, and Truckee's Doug Rinella was 10th in 1:02:55.
There were 101 runners in the 12K.
In the 6K, Jacob Garrissere of Truckee claimed the win in a time of 25:50, while Truckee's Dylan Garrisere (27:22) and Robert Jamison (29:27) were fifth and seventh, respectively.
Jen Jones of Reno won the women's race and was eighth overall in 29:28, Maiya Greenwood of Tahoe City was the second women (14th overall) in 35:03, and Pixie Baber of Truckee was the third woman in 36:57.
Eighty-six runners competed in the 6K.
Find complete results at http://www.bigblueadventure.com.
Next up on the Big Blue Adventure calendar is the XTERRA Tahoe City Triathlon on Saturday at Commons Beach.
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Squaw-Alpine staying open through Memorial Day, others extend spring skiing season
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues