Non locals dominate Run to the Beach
July 10, 2013
Tim Naylor of Los Gatos took the win in the Run to the Beach 10K in Kings Beach this past Thursday, while Brendan Foti of San Francisco won the 5K run.
Both runs, put on by Big Blue Adventure, began at North Tahoe Regional Park and finished on the Kings Beach shoreline.
In the 10-kilometer run, Naylor, 39, finished ahead of Daniel Greer, 54, of Boulder, Colo., posting a time of 40:20.42 to Greer’s 41:12.41. Bryan Backer, 50, of Auburn was third in 42:12.33.
Kristin Walstad of Alta was the top woman and fifth overall in 42:52.00. Lauren Tomory of Reno was second among women and ninth overall in 44:19.94, and Danielle Zick of Carnelian Bay took third among women (19th overall) in 47:42.48.
Truckee’s Jim Telling, 55, was the top local finisher, as he crossed the line in eighth place in a time of 43:50.00. Scott Cleveland of Truckee was 20th (47:57.75), and Daniel Knorr of Carnelian Bay was 25th (49:28.89).
The 10K field included 88 runners.
In the 5K, 17-year-old Brendan Foti cruised to victory in 18:57.54. Joey Hodges, 29, of Sparks finished runner-up in 20:04.55, and Gehrig Tucker of Minden rounded out the top three in 20:45.55.
Catherine Lowdon of Hillsborough claimed the women’s win and placed sixth overall in a time of 22:18.97, while Kristy Wilson of Folsom followed closely behind in a time of 22:33.45.
Kristen Martin del Campo of Kings Beach was the top Tahoe-area runner, finishing third among women and ninth overall in 22:50.87. Renee Deinken of Kings Beach was the eighth woman and 20th overall in a time of 25:09.73.
As was the case last year, the 5K was a popular distance, with 154 finishers, while the event drew a large turnout of out-of-town runners and few locals.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Explore Tahoe-Truckee: Incredible views above Lake Tahoe from the Mt. Rose Highway Scenic Overlook
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village