Nordic racing | Holmes, Halvorsen win North Tahoe Pursuit
February 18, 2014
North Tahoe senior Peter Holmes and Sugar Bowl Academy sophomore Hannah Halvorsen, both of whom competed recently on the elite Scandinavian Cup Team, claimed wins for their high schools in the North Tahoe Pursuit at Auburn Ski Club on Friday.
Eleanore Hamilton of the Sugar Bowl Academy (SBA) and North Tahoe’s JC Schoonmaker earned wins in the middle school race.
The Lakers swept the top two spots in the high school boys race and placed three skies in the top five, as Holmes won in 15:14.5, North Tahoe teammate Julien Bordes was second in 16:07.1 and Shane Christian was fourth in 16:17.7.
SBA’s Sam Zabell rounded out the top three in 16:16.7, while teammates Ryland Belisle and Casey Jobe finished fifth and sixth, respectively. Aaron Deeter led Truckee with a seventh-place finish, and Incline’s Evan Vomund led the Highlanders in eighth.
North Tahoe’s Cam Goldstone was 13th, and Truckee’s Ethan Rohlf, Ian Smith and David Dalicandro finished 14th through 16th, respectively.
In the high school girls race, Halvorsen raced to victory in a time of 20:19.6. She held off Truckee’s Lizzie Larkins, who finished in 20:40.3, and SBA teammate Camille Hartley, who was third in 21:10.7.
Truckee’s Jenna Rohlf finished fifth and was followed by North Tahoe’s Tara Gallant and Quinn Lehmkuhl, and SBA’s Savannah Blide and Elise Hardy. Bri Parker and Kyla Burrill of Truckee were 10th and 11th, respectively, and North Tahoe’s Kaya Williams was 12th. Truckee cross-country state champion Skyler Flora was 13th.
Schoonmaker continued his string of wins this season with relative ease. He finished with a time of 9:52.0, while Alder Creek’s Tyler Ferrera and Haydn Halvorsen finished second and third in 10:49.4 and 11:18.9, respectively.
Max Roske of North Tahoe was fourth, followed by Alder Creek’s K.C. Larkins, Mammoth’s Jared Mahler, Alder Creek’s Zach Larson and Zarek Livak, and North Tahoe’s Scott Murphy, Riley Hacker and Cody Atwood.
Hamilton won the middle school girls race with a time of 11:07.3. SBA teammate Chloe Gorman was runner-up in 11:14.6, and Alder Creek’s Grace Bronstone was third in 11:14.9.
They were trailed by Alder Creek’s Abigail Baier, North Tahoe’s Camille Syben, and Alder Creek’s Megan Flynn and Megan Burrill. Britta Winans of Alder Creek rounded out the top 10.
The CNISSF state championship is scheduled for Saturday at Auburn Ski Club.
Click here to view a photo gallery from Friday’s race.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Truckee cross-country: Girls claim 3rd, boys take 10th in Folsom
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens