North Tahoe basketball | Boys edged by 3 at Pershing County
February 13, 2014
The North Tahoe and Pershing County boys basketball teams are about as evenly matched as they come.
Less than a month after North Tahoe earned a hard-fought, 43-40 win at home against Pershing County, the Mustangs paid back the visiting Lakers with a win by the same score, 43-40, Tuesday night.
North Tahoe coach Frank Wright said the game went back and forth throughout, with the Lakers leading for the last time with about five minutes left in regulation. The Mustangs took advantage of Laker fouls late in the fourth quarter to pull out the win.
Junior forward Mitchell Myers led North Tahoe with 12 points, while senior guard Noah McDermott scored nine points, Nick Joslin had six points and Alex Tyler, who was keyed on by the Mustangs’ defense, scored five.
The Lakers fell to 6-9 in the Northern Division III standings and the Mustangs improved to 7-8.
In the girls game, second-place Pershing County rolled to a 54-18 win over the Lakers.
Senior forward Melissa Gonzalez scored a game-high 22 points on 9-of-15 shooting from the field. Maria Montes added 11 points and Gurpreet Kaur seven.
The Lakers ended their season with home games against rival Incline on Thursday night (the games ended too late for publication).
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Truckee cross-country: Girls claim 3rd, boys take 10th in Folsom
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens