North Tahoe cross country | McDermott, Christian 1-2 at Reed Invitational
October 17, 2013
The North Tahoe boys cross-country team clearly is not intimidated by the state's largest classification.
The defending Division III state champion Laker boys captured the top two spots and placed three runners in the top 10 at the mostly large school Reed Invitational this past Friday.
The Laker boys finished just four points behind Division I Douglas for the team win, with 79 points to Douglas' 75, while they placed well ahead of third-place Reno (104) and fourth-place McQueen (106), both DI schools.
Senior Noah McDermott, the defending individual state champ, claimed victory in a field of 107 runners, as he posted a time of 16:57 over the hilly, 5-kilometer course. Senior teammate Shane Christian was next to cross the line, in 17:36, while Reno's Tyler Hart rounded out the top three in 17:40.
Not far behind was North Tahoe senior Peter Holmes, who finished seventh in a time of 17:53. James Palacio placed 26th in 18:53 and Brandon Hackett was 45th in 19:32 to round out the Lakers' top five scores.
A handful of North Tahoe boys competed in the JV race, in which they finished third as a team, led by Tyler Olk (11th, 19:42).
The North Tahoe girls, meanwhile, finished fifth out of eight larger schools.
As Truckee junior Skyler Flora edged Douglas' Lindsey Adams for the win in a time of 19:05 to Adams' 19:11, North Tahoe's defending state champ, Tara Gallant, led a trio of Lakers in ninth through 11th place, posting a time of 21:20.
Teammates Quinn Lehmkuhl and Sophia Tallarigo finished a split second behind as they all crossed the line together. Junior Ingrid Roske finished 46th in 24:55 and Holly Lewis was 51st in 25:43.
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Some on West Shore may be without power into Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week