North Tahoe cross country | McDermott, Tallarigo win at Pacific Grove
October 10, 2013
Led by Noah McDermott's individual win, the North Tahoe boys cross-country team finished runner-up at the Pacific Grove Invitational on the California coast on Saturday.
King City, which placed all five of its scoring runners in the top 13, posted a low score of 32 points to the Lakers' 59 (North Tahoe split up its runners into the junior, sophomore and freshmen races, however). Monterey was third with 62, followed by Carmel (111), Soledad (112) and Everett Alvarez (120).
The Lakers' top three all finished among the top seven. McDermott, a senior, took the win in a time of 16:42.34 to King City runner Edgar Bonilla's 16:46.12. North Tahoe senior Shane Christian was fifth in 17:46 and was trailed by teammates Peter Holmes in seventh, in 18:23, Tyler Olk (20:39) in 28th and Forrest Smith (22:01) in 37th. Dominic Antonucci (22:07) was 38th.
North Tahoe's James Palacio (18:54) was fourth in the junior boys race and Julien Bordes (18:47) was fourth in the sophomore race.
On the girls side, the Lakers' Tara Gallant finished second in the junior race, posting a time of 21:19.41 to Pacific Grove winner Michelle Watkins' 20:47.91.
North Tahoe's Sophia Tallarigo claimed victory in the sophomore race, finishing with a time of 21:37.47 to the runner-up time of 21:50.91, by Jocelyn Sosa of Greenfield. The Lakers' Quinn Lehmkuhl was second in the freshmen race, in 21:18.53. Christina Hashimoto of Pacific Grove won in 21:07.72.
The Lakers are scheduled to compete in the Reed Invitational on Friday.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Lake Tahoe snowmelt opening up hiking, biking trail options
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- 2016-17 winter: Looking at next year’s ski-snowboard gear
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week