North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
October 18, 2016
YERINGTON, Nev. — At this point, it's become routine: when Thomas Mercogliano gets room to run, the North Tahoe football team puts teams in their rear-view.
Such was the case Friday, when the dual-threat sophomore quarterback compiled 223 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns to steer the Lakers to a 14-13 road win over Yerington's JV team.
The two teams stood at a 7-7 standstill at halftime before North Tahoe snuck past Yerington in the fourth quarter on Mercogliano's second touchdown of the day.
Helping preserve the Lakers' victory was sophomore defensive lineman Ethan Everist, who blocked Yerington's game-tying point-after attempt in the fourth quarter. Everist added six tackles.
The sophomore play-caller finished with 151 yards rushing and a touchdown on 13 carries (averaging 11.6 yards per carry) to go with 51 yards passing and a score on a 2-of-4 outing. His TD toss went to senior wide out Trent Lingruen.
Mercogliano also led the Lakers on defense with a team-best 12 tackles.
Eli Snyder made eight tackles and Raul Estrada had five tackles.
Brett Hurt and Nathan Lutz added 21 and 19 rushing yards, respectively.
North Tahoe (4-3) hosts Silver Stage at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee High baseball team goes 2-2 to start season
- Explore Tahoe: Reach new heights with a North Shore snowmobile tour
- North Tahoe varsity boys golf win first league tourney
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Squaw Valley World Cup: 20,000 fans joined hundreds of volunteers in celebration
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top
- After 15 years of missed reviews, Truckee assessing Martis Valley Quarry
- Truckee ski-snowboard company launches Kickstarter campaign to expand
- $180,000 raised at Truckee-Tahoe humane society event at The Ritz