North Tahoe girls lacrosse earns first victory
April 1, 2013
The North Tahoe/Truckee girls lacrosse team broke into the win column with a 12-8 victory against North Valleys last Wednesday.
The Tahoe club team scored the first goal of the game as ninth-grader Tilley Gibeaut barreled down the field and placed the ball in the back of the net.
The teams battled neck-and-neck throughout the contest, but the Lakers pulled ahead in the final minutes to earn the win.
Combined scoring and assisting teamwork, as well as strong defensive efforts from Lynne Hickman, Mallory Tyler, Lindsey Twomey, Victoria Goldstone and goalie Veronica Goldstone, were among the keys to victory.
Gibeaut scored five goals to lead the way, while Cameron Turner had a goal and three assists, Emma DesLauriers had three assists, Anna Mowris had two goals and one assist, Alexandra Steinkopff had two goals and one assist, Ali Drian had two goals, and Mallory Tyler had one goal.
The game marked the third official competition for the Tahoe Lakers, who are part of a brand new program. The team competes in the High Sierra League, which is compiled of six teams, with five of them from the Reno/Sparks area.
This year's squad is run as a club team through the Tahoe City Public Utility District. Girls from North Tahoe, Incline and Truckee high schools are all invited to join the team, however, this group is all from North Tahoe. Since it is a club, eighth-graders are also allowed to play. The Lakers squad is made up of four ninth-graders, one 10th-grader and 11 eighth-graders.
Because none of the girls had ever played before, the program received a grant from U.S. Lacrosse's First Stick Program, which donated 24 sets of Under Armour sticks and goggles, as well as goalie equipment, U.S. Lacrosse membership for each player, and a Level 1 certification for the coach.
The team is coached by Maryland native Nora Fallon-Oben, who played collegiate lacrosse for St. Mary's College of Maryland and has coached DC/Maryland area teams the past two years.
Trending In: Sports
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: Top 5 picks for Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month deals
- From Soda Springs to Sochi and back
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues