North Tahoe golf | Buster Fenley 11th at state
May 16, 2013
North Tahoe senior Buster Fenley finished 11th in the Division III state championship golf tournament at Genoa Lakes and Edgewood Tahoe golf courses Tuesday and Wednesday.
Fenley, carrying the torch as the Lakers' lone representative, carded an 80 on Day 1 at Genoa Lakes and a 91 on a windy Day 2 at Edgewood, giving him a two-day score of 171.
White Pine, which won the state championship as a team, placed three golfers in the top five among the 46-player field, including Nick Marich, who earned the individual state title with a two-day score of 155 (71-84).
Incline freshman Mitchell Cornell finished runner-up, as he stormed back from an eighth-place tie on the first day to post a 157, thanks to a low round of 75 on Day 2. Ty Pickel of White Pine was third just one stroke back, at 158 (73-85), while Quayde Brooks, an individual qualifier from Lake Mead, was fourth with a 160 (71-89).
White Pine won with a team score of 855. Incline was second at 896 and was followed by Whittell (935), The Meadows (942), Needles (945) and Battle Mountain (957). The Lakers failed to qualify for state by a mere three strokes at the regional tournament in Elko last week, although Fenley made the state cut as one of the top five finishers from a non-qualifying team.
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week