North Tahoe golf | Buster Fenley third at Dayton Valley
April 23, 2013
The North Tahoe golf team is off to a solid start to its season, coming off a pair of second-place finishes.
The Lakers recently placed second out of six schools in a tournament at Fernley Golf Course. Host Fernley, a Division I-A school, took first with a team score of 447 and was followed by North Tahoe with a team score of 473, Whittell with a 485 and Sierra Lutheran with a 532.
Justice Ackerson of Fernley shot the low round of the tournament with a 78, while North Tahoe's Buster Fenley and Trevor Semmens each shot an 88 for the second-lowest score. The Lakers' Daniel Vandewiele carded a 95, Riley McGuire-McCarthy a 97 and Zachary Kriston a 106.
North Tahoe then hosted seven schools in a match at Dayton Valley Golf Course this past Thursday. Only two schools brought full teams (five players), however — Incline and North Tahoe.
Incline shot a low round of 430 and North Tahoe shot a 482. Incline's Mitchell Cornell earned tournament medalist honors with a 75, while Incline's Dylan Smith was second with an 82, Fenley was third with an 86 third and Semmens fourth with an 87.
McGuire McCarthy shot a 98, Rob Grimes a 103, Kriston a 108 and Daniel Vandewiele a 110.
The North Tahoe squad is robust with 14 players, although only the top six compete at each tournament, with the top five results counting toward the team score.
The Lakers are scheduled to compete in a tournament at Carson Valley Golf Course on Wednesday.
Trending In: Sports
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee’s craft beer scene exploded way back in 1876 with opening of the massive Boca Brewery
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe