North Tahoe golf | Fenley advances to state as Lakers narrowly miss cut
May 9, 2013
Northern DIII regional championship results
Incline (433): Mitchell Cornell 76, Dylan Smith 87, Bryan Golombik 82, Kyle Reeves 92, Arjun Singh 96, Alex Davis DNF
Battle Mountain (444): Jonas Norman 96, Braeden Crotteau 82, Sean Peasnall 89, Toliver Rogers 84, Dylan Walter 93, Troy Stallard 98
Whittell (456): Steven Beeler 83, Derek Heldtwerle 99, Zoe Bertz 91, Anders Chaplin 84, Colin Buchholz 99, Spencer Buchholz 102
North Tahoe (459): Justin Fenley 83, Trevor Semmens 89, Riley McGuire-McCarthy 87, Zachary Kriston 94, Rob Grimes 122, Nash Baehr 106
Wells (461): Cameron Huff 80, Andrew Woolsey 85, Joe Tate 96, Mathew Beecher 98, Brenden Limardo 112, Paul Moschetti 102
Sierra Lutheran (517): Carson Iverson 83, Riley Gruber 107, Daniel Barulich 94, Evan Lewis 108, Andrew Hettrick 125, Danny Flanagan 125
Mineral County (n/s): Mavro Viani 79, Garth Price 96, Tristen 93
Yerington (n/s): Tyson Merrell 119, Vince Bolton 99
Sage Ridge (n/s): Grant Gabriel 85, Alan Jurkiewicz 99, Wyatt Keysor 123, Tyler Becker 122
Jackpot (n/s): Jason Koch 186
Mavro Viani, Cameron Huff, Grant Gabriel, Andrew Woolsey, Buster Fenley, Carson Iverson.
A few strokes fewer, and the drive home from Elko could have seemed a lot shorter for the North Tahoe golf team.
The Lakers missed out on a state championship berth by a mere three strokes at the Northern Division III regional championship at Ruby View Golf Course in Elko on Wednesday.
North Tahoe posted a team score of 459 to Whittell's 456 as the Warriors captured the third and final spot in the state championship tournament. Incline, led by freshman Mitchell Cornell's individual title with a 76, claimed the regional title with a low score of 433. Battle Mountain was second with a 444.
While the Lakers did not qualify for state as a team, senior Buster Fenley did advance individually by shooting an 83, which tied for sixth. The top five individuals from non-qualifying teams advanced.
Aside from Fenley, North Tahoe's Riley McGuire-McCarthy shot an 87, Trevor Semmens an 89, Zachary Kriston a 94, Nash Baehr a 106 and Rob Grimes a 122.
The DIII state championship is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, May 14-15, at Genoa Lakes and Edgewood Tahoe.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Truckee Raptors youth basketball team crowned champs
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage