North Tahoe golf | Fenley advances to state as Lakers narrowly miss cut
May 9, 2013
Northern DIII regional championship results
Incline (433): Mitchell Cornell 76, Dylan Smith 87, Bryan Golombik 82, Kyle Reeves 92, Arjun Singh 96, Alex Davis DNF
Battle Mountain (444): Jonas Norman 96, Braeden Crotteau 82, Sean Peasnall 89, Toliver Rogers 84, Dylan Walter 93, Troy Stallard 98
Whittell (456): Steven Beeler 83, Derek Heldtwerle 99, Zoe Bertz 91, Anders Chaplin 84, Colin Buchholz 99, Spencer Buchholz 102
North Tahoe (459): Justin Fenley 83, Trevor Semmens 89, Riley McGuire-McCarthy 87, Zachary Kriston 94, Rob Grimes 122, Nash Baehr 106
Wells (461): Cameron Huff 80, Andrew Woolsey 85, Joe Tate 96, Mathew Beecher 98, Brenden Limardo 112, Paul Moschetti 102
Sierra Lutheran (517): Carson Iverson 83, Riley Gruber 107, Daniel Barulich 94, Evan Lewis 108, Andrew Hettrick 125, Danny Flanagan 125
Mineral County (n/s): Mavro Viani 79, Garth Price 96, Tristen 93
Yerington (n/s): Tyson Merrell 119, Vince Bolton 99
Sage Ridge (n/s): Grant Gabriel 85, Alan Jurkiewicz 99, Wyatt Keysor 123, Tyler Becker 122
Jackpot (n/s): Jason Koch 186
Mavro Viani, Cameron Huff, Grant Gabriel, Andrew Woolsey, Buster Fenley, Carson Iverson.
A few strokes fewer, and the drive home from Elko could have seemed a lot shorter for the North Tahoe golf team.
The Lakers missed out on a state championship berth by a mere three strokes at the Northern Division III regional championship at Ruby View Golf Course in Elko on Wednesday.
North Tahoe posted a team score of 459 to Whittell’s 456 as the Warriors captured the third and final spot in the state championship tournament. Incline, led by freshman Mitchell Cornell’s individual title with a 76, claimed the regional title with a low score of 433. Battle Mountain was second with a 444.
While the Lakers did not qualify for state as a team, senior Buster Fenley did advance individually by shooting an 83, which tied for sixth. The top five individuals from non-qualifying teams advanced.
Aside from Fenley, North Tahoe’s Riley McGuire-McCarthy shot an 87, Trevor Semmens an 89, Zachary Kriston a 94, Nash Baehr a 106 and Rob Grimes a 122.
The DIII state championship is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, May 14-15, at Genoa Lakes and Edgewood Tahoe.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- U.S. Ski Team’s Tim Jitloff, a Truckee native, talks life on and off the slopes
- Truckee prep roundup: Haas first Wolverine to win boys tennis state title
- Truckee football: ‘We’re very proud of our guys’ following high-stakes rivalry win
- North Tahoe football: Lakers put ‘Hurt’ on Silver Stage in 34-0 rout
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump