North Tahoe soccer | Boys, girls seek state berths at regionals
November 5, 2013
The North Tahoe boys and girls soccer teams are set to compete in the Northern Division III regional tournament, scheduled for Friday and Saturday at Incline.
On the boys’ side of the bracket, the third-seeded Lakers, at 7-2-3 in league play, will face second-seeded Whittell (9-3-0) in a semifinal Friday at 2 p.m.
The winner earns an automatic state championship berth while advancing to the regional final Saturday at noon.
That team will face the winner of the other semifinal between top-seeded Incline (9-0-3) and fourth-seeded White Pine (6-3-2). The top three seeds from the regional tournament advance to state.
The Lakers lost both contests against Whittell during the regular season, 3-2 on Sept. 24 and 4-0 on Oct. 22. North Tahoe tied Incline in both regular-season meetings, 2-2 and 3-3. North Tahoe and White Pine played to a 0-0 tie on Sept. 20, while the Lakers won the second game 6-0 on Oct. 18.
The North Tahoe girls, meanwhile, will enter the regional tournament as a No. 3 seed, at 9-4-1 in Division III play.
They’ll have a tough go from the start, as they face second-seeded Incline (12-1-1) in a semifinal Friday at noon.
No. 1-seeded Whittell (13-1-0) will square off against fourth-seeded White Pine (8-5) in the other semifinal Friday at 4 p.m. The semifinal winners will clash for the Northern region title on Saturday at 2 p.m.
The Lakers dropped both regular-season contests to Whittell, 3-0 in Tahoe City and 4-0 with a shorthanded team in Zephyr Cove on Oct. 22. They played Incline to a 2-2 tie before falling 4-0 to end the regular season last Wednesday. North Tahoe split against White Pine, winning 4-0 at home and losing 1-0 on the road.
The girls consolation final — to decide the third and final state seed — is Saturday at 10 a.m. The boys consolation final is Saturday at noon. Check http://www.niaa.com for complete playoff brackets.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports