North Tahoe soccer | Boys, girls seek state berths at regionals
November 5, 2013
The North Tahoe boys and girls soccer teams are set to compete in the Northern Division III regional tournament, scheduled for Friday and Saturday at Incline.
On the boys’ side of the bracket, the third-seeded Lakers, at 7-2-3 in league play, will face second-seeded Whittell (9-3-0) in a semifinal Friday at 2 p.m.
The winner earns an automatic state championship berth while advancing to the regional final Saturday at noon.
That team will face the winner of the other semifinal between top-seeded Incline (9-0-3) and fourth-seeded White Pine (6-3-2). The top three seeds from the regional tournament advance to state.
The Lakers lost both contests against Whittell during the regular season, 3-2 on Sept. 24 and 4-0 on Oct. 22. North Tahoe tied Incline in both regular-season meetings, 2-2 and 3-3. North Tahoe and White Pine played to a 0-0 tie on Sept. 20, while the Lakers won the second game 6-0 on Oct. 18.
The North Tahoe girls, meanwhile, will enter the regional tournament as a No. 3 seed, at 9-4-1 in Division III play.
They’ll have a tough go from the start, as they face second-seeded Incline (12-1-1) in a semifinal Friday at noon.
No. 1-seeded Whittell (13-1-0) will square off against fourth-seeded White Pine (8-5) in the other semifinal Friday at 4 p.m. The semifinal winners will clash for the Northern region title on Saturday at 2 p.m.
The Lakers dropped both regular-season contests to Whittell, 3-0 in Tahoe City and 4-0 with a shorthanded team in Zephyr Cove on Oct. 22. They played Incline to a 2-2 tie before falling 4-0 to end the regular season last Wednesday. North Tahoe split against White Pine, winning 4-0 at home and losing 1-0 on the road.
The girls consolation final — to decide the third and final state seed — is Saturday at 10 a.m. The boys consolation final is Saturday at noon. Check http://www.niaa.com for complete playoff brackets.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Explore Tahoe-Truckee: Incredible views above Lake Tahoe from the Mt. Rose Highway Scenic Overlook
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village