North Tahoe soccer | Lakers dominate league matches on road
September 16, 2013
The Lakers kicked off their Northern Division III soccer schedule without a hitch this past weekend.
While the North Tahoe boys routed Battle Mountain 11-0 on Friday, the girls earned a 12-0 win over the Longhorns and then followed with a 7-0 win at Pershing County on Saturday.
Senior Adrian Ortega was a scoring machine for the North Tahoe boys, as he buried six goals to lead his team past the Longhorns. Wildon DesLauriers and Jose Chavez scored two goals apiece, and Edgar Delgado scored one.
North Tahoe girls coach Kristin Carlson said her team played crisp soccer in both games.
“The girls demonstrated skills that the team had been working on since the beginning of the season, so that was exciting to see,” she said. “They passed the ball well and stepped up to win the 50-50 balls.”
Sophomore Valencia Covell scored her first varsity goals by recording a hat trick (three goals). Julie Semmens scored two goals, and Allie Doyle, Johanna Gur, Audrey Johnson, Haley Perkins, Emily Pieper, Bozhie Pokorny and Sara Trimm each put in one.
North Tahoe sophomore Bryn Anderson recorded a hat trick of her own against Pershing County the next day, while Covell, Francesca English, Semmens and Angela Wood also scored.
“The girls played well together — passing well and recognizing the open space,” Carlson said, adding that the Lakers also played solid defense in both games. “The girls played positions they were not necessarily that familiar with, but each of them stepped up nicely in their new positions.”
The Lakers are scheduled to host their next three games. Both the girls and boys host White Pine on Friday (boys 3 p.m., girls 5 p.m.), West Wendover on Saturday (boys 10:30 a.m., girls 12 p.m.) and Whittell on Tuesday (boys 5:30 p.m., girls 7 p.m.).
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway