North Tahoe to host amateur, para-cycling championships in 2015-16
December 31, 2013
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — North Lake Tahoe has been selected to host USA Cycling's Amateur and Para-Cycling Road National Championships in 2015 and 2016.
The five-day event is made up of multiple races, including an individual time trial, tandem time trial, a criterium and road races. The national championships draw more than 1,000 participants and thousands of spectators, family members and friends.
USA Cycling is the national governing body for cycling in the U.S. and represents more than 2,500 clubs and teams and 70,800 members. The organization hosts a series of road, track, cyclo-cross, mountain bike and BMX national championships across the nation.
North Lake Tahoe's selection as the home of the cycling event comes only months after the area hosted its first Ironman competition in September, and represents the region's growing popularity as a location for national and international endurance events.
"We are extremely excited to bring the 2015-16 USA Cycling Amateur & Para-cycling Road National Championships to North Lake Tahoe," said Micah Rice, USA Cycling's vice president of national events. "It is such a beautiful part of the country with spectacular courses. We are looking forward to sharing it with the riders. We're confident that the event will produce worthy winners after they compete on the challenging courses in North Lake Tahoe."
USA Cycling expects strong participation at the event as it returns to Northern California.
"Hosting this prestigious race at North Lake Tahoe will be a true win-win for everyone involved," said Andy Chapman, chief marketing officer for the North Lake Tahoe Chamber/CVB/Resort Association. "Renowned for its spectacular mountain vistas and crystal clear lake, Lake Tahoe's pristine setting is the perfect environment for athletes to both push themselves and to relax and rejuvenate post race. We look forward to a great race in 2015 and 2016."
Learn more about the championships and USA Cycling at http://www.usacycling.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe-Truckee biking: Nonprofit seeks proposals for region-wide map
- Explore Tahoe: Area fishing charters provide fun, successful excursions
- Tahoe skier Lila Lapanja on World Cup: ‘Smiling is my antidote to negativity’
- Truckee High School track teams excel at Fallon meet
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe Chief’s Corner: Too much snow can destroy your home
- Opinion: High-speed bikers making Truckee River Legacy Trail unsafe
- Fresno man killed after falling from Lake Tahoe casino
- Reno-Tahoe International Airport unveils first update of new master plan
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’