North Tahoe track | Lakers among leaders at Big George Invite
April 25, 2013
Paced by their standout distance runners, the North Tahoe track and field team finished among the top large schools at the Big George Invite at Douglas High School this past Saturday.
The North Tahoe boys placed fourth overall out of 14 schools, and were first among Division III programs. The Laker girls were fifth out of 12 schools, and also the top DIII team.
Junior Noah McDermott led the way, as he easily claimed the win in the 3,200-meter run in a time of 10:27.15. Connor Henderson of South Tahoe finished runner-up in 10:50.26.McDermott also finished third in the 1,600, posting a time of 4:47.00, about 3 seconds behind winner Mark Waite of Whittell (4:43.46).
North Tahoe senior Sean McDermott was fourth in the 1,600, in 4:51.84, and Cam Goldstone was fifth in the 3,200, in 11:26.63. Sean McDermott also finished second in the 300-meter hurdles in a time of 46.32.
Two of the Laker boys’ relay teams finished second, the 4×200 (Brandon Hackett, Peter Holmes, James Palacio, Brandon Hayakawa), which posted a time of 3:50.87, and the 4×800 (Hacket, Noah McDermott, Holmes, Palacio), which finished in 8:43.55. Jordan Holst was 11th in the discus with a toss of 106-01.
On the girls side, North Tahoe sophomore Tara Gallant finished third in the 1,600 in a time of 5:48.26 and fourth in the 3,200, in 13:25.20. Sophia Gallarigo was sixth in the 3,200, in 13:35.00, and 12th in the 1,600, in 6:09.05. Ingrid Roske was 13th in the 800 (3:00.44).
Bozhie Pokorny finished third in the 400 in a time of 1:05.63 while teammate Abii Johnson was ninth in 1:09.12 and Maddie Cleeland 12th in 1:11.90. Hailey Perkins was seventh in both the 100 hurdles (18.56) and the 300 hurdles (55.56). Allison Wright placed fifth in the 200, in 28.87.
The girls’ 4×100 (Bridget Schroepfer, Sage Chador, Wright, Doyle) and 4×200 (Pokorny, Angela Wood, Sara Trimm, Doyle) relay teams both recorded third-place finishes, in 56.51 and 1:57.39, respectively.
Wood placed fourth in the long jump, with a mark of 14-05.50, and was seventh in the shot put, at 27-06.50. Chador was ninth in the shot put (66-02) and Doyle 10th in the high jump (4-06.00). Perkins (4-04.00) and Chador (4-02.00) were 11th and 12th, respectively.
The Lakers are scheduled to compete in the Carson Invite on Saturday.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Achieve Tahoe celebrates 50 years changing lives through passion for the outdoors
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Homecoming football preview: Damonte Ranch at Truckee
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village
- Lake Tahoe has seen 138.65 billion gallons of water since October