North Tahoe track | Lakers competitive among Division I contingent
April 10, 2014
The North Tahoe track and field team competed among the large schools of Northern Nevada at the Northwest Invitational at McQueen High School this past Saturday.
The Lakers fared best in the 4×800 relay, as Noah McDermott, Tobin Johnson, Brandon Hackett and James Palacio teamed up to claim the victory in a time of 8:33.02. Division I Douglas was runner-up in 8:36.89 and DI McQueen third in 8:40.33.
McDermott, the two-time defending Division III state champ in both the 1,600- and 3,200-meter runs, finished third and second, respectively, in the 1,500 and 3,000 on Saturday.
He posted a time of 4:13.8 in the 1,500, while Kai Benedict of McQueen won in 4:03.1 and McQueen teammate Connor Ross was second in 4:10.3. McDermott finished runner-up to Benedict in the 3,000, posting a time of 9:19.21 to Benedict's 9:05.65.
Among other top finishes for the Laker boys, freshman Nathan Lutz placed fourth in the junior varsity 100-meter dash, in a time of 12.81 seconds, while senior Peter Holmes finished sixth in the 800 in a time of 2:05.28 and 12th in the 1,500 in 4:33.4.
The North Tahoe boys 4×400 relay team of McDermott, Johnson, Alexander Steele and Reed Davis finished sixth in 3:44.28, and the Lakers' 4×200 relay team of Steele, Hackett, Austin Nall and Brandon Hayakawa placed 10th in 1:41.32.
Senior Jordan Holst threw the discus 113 feet, 10 inches, which was good enough for 13th place, while Hayakawa was 19th in the 100-meter dash in 12.13. Cam Goldstone and Palacio posted times of 10:30.0 and 10:32.62, respectively, in the 3,000.
On the girls side, junior Tara Gallant finished third in the 3,000, recording a time of 11:38.40. McQueen's Michelle Cooper won the race in 11:05.97 and Makenzie Whimple of Spring Creek was second in 11:15.90. Gallant finished sixth in the 3,000 in a time of 5:23.0.
North Tahoe sophomore Kaya Williams finished 11th in the 3,000, with a time of 12:22.69, and was 19th in the 1,500, in 5:46.1.
Sophomore sprinter Allison Wright placed 12th in the 200, crossing the line in 27.98, and 22nd in the 100 (13.95).
Allie Doyle, who was 24th in the 100 (13.98), finished third in the high jump, clearing 4-10, and sophomore Jordan Briggs was 12th in the shot put with a heave of 31-01.
In relay action, the Laker girls 4×800 team of Gallant, Ingrid Roske, Holly Lewis and Sophia Tallarigo finished seventh with a time of 11:32.46. The North Tahoe girls 4×100 team of Doyle, Sara Trimm, Angela Wood and Wright finished 13th in 55.88, and the 4×200 team of Wood, Trimm, Doyle and Maddie Cleeland was 14th in 2:00.26.
The Lakers are scheduled to compete in the Del Oro Invite on Friday.
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Squaw-Alpine staying open through Memorial Day, others extend spring skiing season
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered