North Tahoe track | McDermott, Gallant lead way at Nevada Union Invitational
May 9, 2013
The North Tahoe track and field team received one final tune-up for regionals as it squared off against more than 25 large schools at the Nevada Union Invitational in Grass Valley this past Friday.
The Lakers’ top sprinters again led the way. Junior Noah McDermott raced to a third-place finish in the 3,200-meter run, posting a time of 9:52.73, and was sixth in the 1,600, in 4:35.52. Sophomore teammate Tara Gallant, meanwhile, placed fourth in the 3,200 with a time of 12:28.89 and was 11th in the 1,600, in 5:47.42.
North Tahoe junior Bozhie Pokorny and freshman teammate Sophia Tallarigo also recorded top-10 finishes, as Pokorny placed seventh in the 400 in a time of 63.21 and Tallarigo was seventh in the 3,200 in a time of 12:48.62.
Sophomore Haley Perkins finished 12th in the 300 hurdles in 53.60, Allison Wright finished 13th in the 200, posting a time of 28.08, and Kaya Williams was 13th in the 3,200, in 13:36.08. Wright also finished 18th in the 100, in 13.68, while Allie Doyle was 20th in 13.73. Bridget Schroepfer was 20th in the 200, in 28.70.
In the field, Jordan Briggs heaved the shot put 28 feet, 11 inches, which was good enough for 11th place, and Sage Chador recorded a mark of 28-00.50 for 16th place.
Doyle and Perkins tied for 11th in the high jump, at 4-08.00, while Pokoeny was 16th in the long jump with a mark of 13-02.75 and Angela Wood was 17th with a mark of 13-01.50.
Maddie Cleeland, Abii Johnson, Wood and Pokorny teamed up to finish eight in the 4×400 relay, posting a time of 4:45.05. Sara Trimm, Wood, Chador and Doyle were 10th in the 4×100 relay, in 55.61.
On the boys side, North Tahoe sophomore Brandon Hayakawa finished 13th in the long jump with a leap of 17-08.00. Sean McDermott was 13th in the 800, in 2:04.43, and Peter Holmes was 14th in 2:05.04.
Brandon Hackett, Julien Bordes, Holmes and Sean McDermott placed 10th in the 4×400 relay in a time of 3:46.63.
The Lakers will compete in the Northern Division III regional championship at Yerington on Friday and Saturday. State is May 17-18 in Las Vegas.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- U.S. Ski Team’s Tim Jitloff, a Truckee native, talks life on and off the slopes
- Truckee prep roundup: Haas first Wolverine to win boys tennis state title
- Truckee football: ‘We’re very proud of our guys’ following high-stakes rivalry win
- North Tahoe football: Lakers put ‘Hurt’ on Silver Stage in 34-0 rout
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump