North Tahoe track | Tara Gallant leads Lakers at Sparks meet
March 21, 2013
The North Tahoe track and field team jumped into another season with back-to-back Mount Rose League meets at Sparks on March 9 and 16.
Several Lakers earned quality finishes this past weekend’s meet, led by sophomore distance runner Tara Gallant’s win in the 3,200-meter run.
Gallant won the two-mile race with ease, as she posted a winning time of 13:40.41 to South Tahoe runner-up Cara Filce’s 14:00. Gallant also finished second in the 1,600 (one-mile), recording a time of 6:06.12, while Karley Martinez won in 5:51.47.
North Tahoe’s girls 4×100 relay team claimed victory ahead of Truckee, South Tahoe and Sparks, while the Laker girls 4×200 relay took the win ahead of South Tahoe, Truckee and Sparks (relay members were not available).
In the boys distance races, North Tahoe junior Noah McDermott placed second in the 3,200 and fourth in the 1,600, both of which were won by Zachary Hunt of Excel Christian. McDermott finished the 1,600 in 4:51.77 and the 3,200 in 10:50.15. Hunt won the 1,600 in 4:47.37 and the 3,200 in 10:40.94.
Senior Sean McDermott also landed on the podium in a couple of events, as he tied for second in the high jump by clearing the bar at 5 feet, 2 inches. Incline freshman Blake Perry took the win at 5-4. In addition to his high jump podium, Sean McDermott placed third in the 300-meter hurdles in a time of 45.98 to South Tahoe winner David Cassaday’s 43.19.
North Tahoe junior Jordan Holst took second in the discus with a toss of 107-2. AJ McCauley of Excel Christian won with a throw of 109-9. Holst was fourth in the shot put, at 33-6.5. McCauley won with a throw of 42-3.5.
Brandon Hayakawa, a sophomore, finished third in the long jump, recording a leap of 17-3, while Javier Virrey of Truckee won with a jump of 18 feet.
North Tahoe freshman Jordan Briggs finished runner-up in the discus with a heave of 71-3.5. Karla Ramirez of Sparks had a winning throw of 91 feet. Briggs also was third in the shot put with a distance of 23-1.5. Ramirez won with a throw of 26-1.
Laker girls finished two-three in the high jump, as Allie Doyle cleared the bar at 4-6 and Angela Wood at 4-4. Kira Porter of Incline won at 4-8.
In the sprint events, North Tahoe freshman Allison Wright (28.64) was fourth in the 200 and Doyle (13.83) was fifth in the 100.
The Lakers are scheduled to compete in the 41st Annual Fallon Elks Invitational at Fallon on Saturday.
Trending In: Sports
- VIDEO: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team’s Lila Lapanja returning to form
- Tahoe skiing: Downhill resorts offer up new features for the 2016-17 season
- Tahoe athletes: Josh Daiek thunders into the professional freeskiing scene
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- IVGID Tip: Up your game for Lake Tahoe’s ski slopes
- Truckee Bank of America armed robbery: Second suspect arrested
- 5 arrested near Truckee after iPhone thefts, high-speed chase (w/ mugshots)
- Opinion: Risk of catastrophic fire at Lake Tahoe just got worse
- Tahoe under the surface: Photographer dives deep for underwater shots
- Northstar California appoints Nadia Guerriero as new GM