Northstar to host Leadville Trail 100 qualifier
July 11, 2014
Northstar California Resort will host the Tahoe Trail 100-Kilometer Race on July 19, allowing area mountain bikers a chance to qualify for the Leadville Trail 100 in Colorado.
Riders will negotiate two 50-kilometer loops through some of Tahoe’s most renowned terrain, including sections along the historic Tevis Trail, iconic Painted Rock and Lake Tahoe overlooks. Up to 100 qualifying spots for the Leadville 100 will be available.
“Endurance races have gained center stage within the realm of mountain bike competition,” said Andrew Buckley, senior director of skier services for Northstar and Tahoe Trail and a Leadville Trail competitor. “The discipline is a combination of technical skill, endurance and mental strength. The Tahoe Trail 100 allows for riders, their families, support crew and friends to experience their sport in one of the world’s most scenic destinations.”
Registration is open until Tuesday, July 15, and can be completed at NorthstarCalifornia.com. Any remaining open spots may be filled by registering in-person Friday, July 18, between noon and 5 p.m. in The Village at Northstar.
Participants have two opportunities to preview course sections guided by endurance ride champions. The first preview ride is set for Sunday, July 13, and will be led by 2011 Tahoe Trail 100 champion and six-time Cycling World Championship team member Julie Young.
The second preview ride, scheduled for Friday, June 18, will be guided by six-time Leadville Trail 100 champion Dave Wiens and four-time Leadville Trail 100 champion Rebecca Rusch. Preview rides will start and finish in The Village at Northstar.
The race begins at 7 a.m. at the Northstar Castle Peak parking area located beneath The Village at Northstar.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports