O’Neill paddleboard series to kick off at Donner Lake
May 13, 2014
The 2014 stand-up paddleboard season is set to begin with the opening event in the Tahoe Cup series, the 7th Annual O’Neill Donner Lake Paddleboard Race, at Donner Lake on Saturday, May 24.
The first of a three-event Tahoe Cup series with a combined $20,000 prize purse, the Donner Lake Race is expected to draw hundreds of competitors of all ability levels, from recreational paddlers to elite racers.
The race starts from the West End Beach at 9 a.m. and takes competitors on a 5-mile sprint around the shoreline of Donner Lake.
The start and finish area is open to spectators and will include a festive atmosphere and free SUP demos from Surftech and the Sports Exchange of Truckee.
Other races in the Tahoe Cup series include the Jam From the Dam on July 12 and the Tahoe Fall Classic on Sept. 14.
For registration and more information, go to http://www.tahoecup.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Explore Tahoe-Truckee: Incredible views above Lake Tahoe from the Mt. Rose Highway Scenic Overlook
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists