Paco’s Fun Race brings out Nordic crowd
January 27, 2014
Nearly 90 Nordic skiers participated in the annual Paco’s Fun Race at Auburn Ski Club this past Sunday.
The event featured races of 10 and 5 kilometers, plus a youth race.
Franz Bernstein took the win in the 10K with a time of 22:20.1. He held off Austin Meng, who finished runner-up in 22:35.9, while Aaron Deeter was third in 25:32.1.
Gus Johnson placed fourth in 25:39.1 and was followed by top female finisher Joanne Reid, who was fifth overall in the field of 45 racers in a time of 25:53.6.
Holly Whitney was second among women and ninth overall in 27:01.5, and Kara LaPoint was the third woman and 12th overall in 27:38.6. Cathy Howard (31:21.7) was fourth among woman and Molly Zurn (31:54.9) fifth.
The 5-kilometer race was dominated by juniors, as Ryland Belisle won in a time of 12:07.8 while Lizzie Larkins was first among female racers and fourth overall in 13:28.6. Skyler Mullings (12:22.9) was second and JC Schoonmaker (13:15.8) third.
Savannah Blide was second among females and fifth overall in 14:21, and Chloe Gorman was third (seventh overall) in 15:13.9.
In the youth race, Frances Hamilton claimed the victory by posting a time of 6:50.1. Kianna Mullings was second in 6:52.4 and Ryan Herhusky was third in 6:52.9. They were followed by K.C. Larkins and Cooper Honeywell.
In previous weeks of local Nordic racing, Phil Violett won the ASC Holiday Biathlon on Dec. 29 while Peter Carroll was second and Sam Zabell third.
Claire Lang-Ree won the novice race as Wesley Romer took second and Buff Wendt third. Natalie Lang-Ree won the youth race, and William Peale and Samantha Swan finished second and third, respectively.
In the Snowshoe Thompson Classic on Dec. 22, Patrick Johnson captured the win in the men’s 10K, while Spencer Eusden was second and Peter Holmes third. LaPoint won the women’s 10K and was trailed by Whitney and Carolyn Tiernan. Kianna Mullings won the youth race, and Larkins was second and Herhusky third.
Hannah Halvorsen, Bria Riggs and Annika Taylor swept the top three among women in the Freestyle Sprints on Dec. 21, and Patrick Johnson, Eusden and Alex Hamilton finished 1-3 in the men’s race. Haydn Halvorsen, Frances Hamilton and Kianna Mullings were top finishers in the youth race.
Holmes, Halvorsen named to Scandia Cup Team
Far West skiers Peter Holmes and Hannah Halvorsen were recently selected to compete in the Scandinavian Cup.
Every year the USSA takes the top 12 athletes under 18 years of age — six men and six women — to compete in the prestigious event based on their results at U.S. Nationals.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- Truckee cross-country: Girls claim 3rd, boys take 10th in Folsom
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)