Rock climbing event coming to Donner Summit
July 24, 2014
Rock climbers in the Truckee-Tahoe area might want to mark this event on their calendars.
The Truckee Sports Exchange is gearing up to host the inaugural Boulder Bash, a climbing competition, festival and fundraiser to help the Truckee Donner Land Trust and Access Fund purchase an iconic but privately owned climbing area on Donner Summit known as Black Wall.
The event is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 9, at Donner Ski Ranch and surrounding areas.
The Boulder Bash is for climbers of all ages and abilities and is open to the public. The day-long event will conclude with an awards ceremony and after-party featuring food and drink specials, live music, a silent auction, demonstrations, and giveaways.
Event officials hope to raise significant funds for the Black Wall purchase while also celebrating the climbing community and culture of the Truckee-Tahoe region. They also hope to make the Boulder Bash an annual event.
The Black Wall purchase will preserve the area’s natural state and allow climbers and outdoor enthusiasts to freely enjoy the location.
The Boulder Bash will begin at 9 a.m. when climbers set out from Donner Ski Ranch to tackle their favorite bouldering “problems” in the Castle Peak, Summit Lake and Grouse Slab areas.
After the climbers return, scores will be tallied and thousands of dollars in prizes and giveaways will be awarded.
The after-party will begin at 7 p.m. and is open to the public. Music will be presented by Ann Marie Sheriden and her band, as well as local D.J. Matt Connelly.
The evening prior to the Boulder Bash, the Sports Exchange will host a free slide show on the history of climbing on Donner Summit, starting at 7:30 p.m.
Find registration information at http://www.TruckeeSportsExchange.com or call 530-582-4510.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe skiing: Downhill resorts offer up new features for the 2016-17 season
- VIDEO: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team’s Lila Lapanja returning to form
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Peter Fain breaks own record in Escape from Prison Hill Half-Marathon
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Sierra history: The legacy of Donner Ski Ranch, an 80-year-old resort rebel
- I-80 wrecks: If you thought there were more than usual at Floriston, you’re right
- Whoops! Accident left Alpine Meadows in the dark
- Opinion: Racism in American, and at Lake Tahoe, needs to stop
- 5 arrested near Truckee after iPhone thefts, high-speed chase (w/ mugshots)