Runners take on Squaw Valley Half Marathon
June 16, 2017
More than 300 runners came out for Big Blue Adventure's annual Squaw Valley Half Marathon and Run to Squaw 8 Miler on Sunday, June 11.
The event marked the second run of the year put on by Big Blue Adventure, and was the first time the organization has held the half marathon and Squaw 8 Miler on the same day.
Tahoe City's Adam Kimble made the best of the cool weather to capture first place in the half marathon, as runners made their way along the out-and-back route from the Village at Squaw Valley to the paved trails along the Truckee River before returning to the Village at Squaw Valley for the finish.
Kimble completed the race with a time of 1 hour, 24 minutes, 1 second, and topped his nearest competitor, Sparks' Mathew Herald, by over 2 minutes.
On the women's side, Truckee's Christie Jackson took first with a time of 1:37:16.
Truckee's Holden Reed took the win in the Run to Squaw 8 Miler. The 7.9-mile course took runners from Commons Beach at Lake Tahoe, along the Truckee River, and then to the finish line at the Village at Squaw Valley.
Recommended Stories For You
Reed finished the course with a time of 51:16, topping second place by more than 3 minutes.
San Francisco's Kailey Larson took first out of the women's division with a time 1:03:10.
According to Director of Operations Bryan Rickards, this was the first year that Big Blue Adventure has put on both events during the same day.
Last year, the events were three weeks apart, but moving the races to the same day has allowed runners to pick between two distances, and according to Rickards resulted in larger turnouts for both races as the distance options resulted in more groups of runners participating in the events.
"It really helped out," Rickards said. "Both those races almost doubled in size this year."
Rickards said there were roughly 400 people registered for the races, including about 30 who signed up on race day.
Big Blue will continue with the second round of the Tahoe Trail Running Series on Sunday, June 18, with the Burton Creek Trail Run at Burton Creek State Park. Runners can choose distances of 6 kilometers, 12 kilometers, or half-marathon.
The Truckee Running Festival, held on June 4, marked the series opener. The Squaw Valley Half Marathon and Run to Squaw 8 Miler did not go toward the series' point total.
Big Blue Adventure will then host the XTERRA Tahoe City Off-Road Triathlon in Tahoe City on Saturday, June 24.
For more information, and to register for upcoming events visit BigBlueAdventure.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Ta-Hoe Nalu celebrates a decade on the lake at Kings Beach
- Modern-day inland paddleboards owe their design and shape to the sport’s beginnings on Lake Tahoe
- Champions crowned at 37th annual Incline Open at Incline Village Tennis Center
- League to Save Lake Tahoe to host an aquatic invasive species training session in Incline Village
- Lake Tahoe trail race attracts record turnout for Marlette 50K and 10 Miler
- Squaw Valley Ski Holdings appeals Cal-OSHA citations in death of ski patroller
- Housing crisis hits deep: Nevada County family struggles to find a place to live
- Sierra Meat & Seafood of Reno offers fresh, sustainable products
- Truckee councilors to address future of town’s marijuana policy
- Small wildfire causes traffic delays on Interstate 80 east of Hirschdale