Sports briefs: Spartan Race World Championships returning to Squaw Valley
September 26, 2016
OLYMPIC VALLEY, Calif. — Spartan Race, the world's leading race company, is returning to one of the top outdoor destinations in the world: North Lake Tahoe this weekend.
On Saturday and Sunday, the Spartan World Championships will be held at the internationally renowned Squaw Valley ski area.
Thousands of men, women and children of all ages will descend onto Squaw Valley to run through mud, climb walls, crawl under barbed wire and jump over fire.
The event, which will be televised on NBCSN, will also feature the top Spartan Elite athletes who will contend to win a cash prize. There will be a Sprint, Beast, Ultra Beast and Kid's Race.
Registration is available until race day at http://www.spartan.com.
Fall volleyball clinics coming to Truckee
Peak Volleyball Camps will host two volleyball clinics series during October and November at the Truckee Recreation Center for 5th-8th grade players.
The first series of five clinics will be hosted on Oct. 5, 10, 12, 17, and 19. The second series will be Oct. 26 and Nov. 2, 7, 9, and 14.
Each series will have four nights of skills training and related games, plus one night of competitions, open to youth of all experience levels from beginner through advanced. Players are grouped by experience. Light balls are available for younger participants.
All clinics are led and coached by Mike Welch, a former NCAA Division I and II championship college head coach and USA Youth National Team Head Coach.
Cost is $159 for each five-clinic series or $299 for both clinic series. All players will receive a free custom Peak Volleyball Backpack to carry their gear. Space is limited to 18 participants.
For information, visit PeakVolleyballCamps.com, e-mail Mike@PeakVolleyball.com, or call Mike at 530-448-0519.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe skier Lila Lapanja on World Cup: ‘Smiling is my antidote to negativity’
- Explore Tahoe: Area fishing charters provide fun, successful excursions
- Tahoe skiing: Final Junior Freeride tour hits Mt. Rose this weekend
- Boarding for Breast Cancer event at Sugar Bowl raises over $8,000
- Tahoe-Truckee biking: Nonprofit seeks proposals for region-wide map
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot of snow possible at high elevations Friday
- North Tahoe crime logs: Screwdriver-wielding man threatens retail shop staff
- Truckee Police Logs: 2 arrests in 2 days for meth possession
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top